1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Start Button

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by RockXP, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RockXP

RockXP Thread Starter

Hello

I just installed Vista on a test machine today and it looks nice. Vista has the new windows logo which is a circle. Is there a way for me to take that new logo and put it on my windows XP? Also, I will need to find the vista logo if this is possible.

2. Crusnik

Crusnik

3. Compiler

Compiler

When you think of the TOYS that can be added to XP, including the SIDE-TOOL thingy, then is shows how sloppy (on purpose or accidental) vista really is. They spent all these years getting vista to this point - when a few kids on their own can do the same thing to XP that only eat a few more megabytes - not 11GB of HD space and 2 hours to install.

Thanks for the link MrBrown.

PS: Transparent LOOK as been around for YEARS on Amiga and Linux... without the overhead or requirements for HIGH_END video cards.

4. rcmojo66

rcmojo66

That's just nonsense. To say that adding the sidebar and pearl button or whatever 'Toys' to XP makes the GUI equal to Vista is shallow. Vista has it's great share of issues that need to be worked out but make no mistake, Aero is a MAJOR gui upgrade.

5. Compiler

Compiler

How so? It DOES nothing that APPLE's OS or Linux have been doing for years. Transparancy, animated windows - oh, we've been doing that with Amigas back in the early 90s.

Less than the time it would take to install vista (2hrs) - okay, took about 20mins, I was able to MOD XP to look and feel very much like vista. Give it a while and the TASK-Fliipper tool will be made for XP. And I've been using for years. the free M$ task-switcher tool which shows screen shots of the other application windows.

So in the GUI dept, vista doesn't nothing earth shattering that can't be done on WinXP, Amiga, Mac or Linux. I am aware that HOW vista displays graphics is completely different - but most of vista is wrapped up in DRM and TCP junk.

Howabout this... M$ offers vista without any DRM and it can't play movies. ;)
    But a lot of what vista is designed for is to keep linux at bay with its hardware certification process.

PS: The thin buttons of vista blows... XP's are better. I've spent an hour playing with vista... er, uh - it like "who cares" - it does do anything great.

6. TechB

TechB

What other OS will be able to legally play encrypted HD video disks if they become available?

Glass is the first skin for Aero. With the underlaying strength of WPF and Aero developers will be able to develop truly astounding skins. As many people say Glass is just a pretty face. Vista needed a bit of sizzle to sell it so MS developed Glass. It is just a starting point.

If you spent an hour "playing" with Vista then you have barely scratched the surface.

7. Compiler

Compiler

Most people are able to hit what "EXCITING" new features of vista in 20mins. Most features are turned on by default... Windows XP came with a WindowBlinds Theme changing system - yet after 5 years, the AVG user sticks with the original blue/green setup.

okay - we have the NEW LOOK - Which isn't really much different from what we use today. I have about 50 theme on my system, many better than vista. Side-bar Docking thingy - okay, That's been included with NeXT PCs which became built into MAC OS-X and such functions been available for years... so again, Nothing NEW. Oh, a CLOCK.. a weather ticker bar, etc etc... things we've always had in some form. Look more slick, yes. Okay, its more slick... done. Start button is now a LOGO that extends past the task bar.

Vista came out... nobody cared. We'll all be forced to use it sooner or later. Hopefully later.

8. Crusnik

Crusnik

The average user doesn't have the skill add all those things to xp. Ask you parents if they know how to skin their OS... You're joking right =p? They would try to stick a piece of toast in the drive and wonder why their computer doesn't work anymore.

Maybe Vista doesn't offer much to advanced users, but it's amazing to the average user. I think we haven't seen all Vista has to offer and Vista haters are jumping the gun on judging it.

9. Compiler

Compiler

Not much to like about vista.

1 - cost way too much
    2 - DRM hell
    3 - buggy
    4 - don't work it hardware which it should - certification issues.
    5 - Requires more resources (RAM / HD / TIME) than it should.

How to SKIN in XP - right click on DESKTOP / Properties / Appearence (but M$ was too stupid to add more skins by default).

10. tec_41

tec_41

You're fighting an impossible to win fight here bud...and you're quite the pessimist. You've pointed out the obvious negs- bugs, drivers, certification issues. NO KIDDING. There was never an operating system that didn't have those problems when it was this new.

If you don't like it, don't use it.

11. Compiler

Compiler

OKay... and the reason to jump on this new OS today?

When Apple went from OS9 > OS10(X) - it was radical. It was a big change from a task-switching OS to a true Multitasking OS.

XP was nothing more than a pretty version of Win2000 for the masses.
    Vista is a re-coded GUI with DRM/TCP all over the place.

12. tec_41

tec_41

Go spread your **** somewhere other than a Windows Vista forum then...go brag to the mac fanboys who care...

13. Crusnik

Crusnik

Well said =)

14. RockXP

RockXP Thread Starter

My original post when way off topic.

15. Crusnik

Crusnik

True... But you did get the answer you needed, right?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice