Vista stopped connecting to network, upgraded to 7, still unable to connect

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mikecole79

Ok, my brother in law has a daughter whose laptop just stopped connecting to the wireless router one day. Seeing as we were planning to upgrade the computer from Vista to 7, I took it home with me, did the upgrade, then tried to connect, assuming it was something simple. No such luck. When attempting to connect, either using the Ethernet or Wireless, it connects to the network as 'Unidentified Network', and doesn't show a connection to the internet at all. I found this curious. I attempted to change the network from public to private, and that didn't help with squat.

I received errors trying to use the troubleshooting tool that's built in telling me that the IP configuration is wrong, and the TS tool can't fix the problem. Looking into the IP address, I found I was assigned a 169, telling me that it's really not getting an IP from anywhere and is assigning itself the Auto Private IP. Since there are 3 other computers in this house that are currently turned on, connected to that router, and assigned IPs via DHCP, I know that's not the problem. And the same thing happened when I plugged directly into the Ethernet from the modem itself. So something is not getting the right signals to get the IP address. Like I said, this problem was originally a Vista problem, it just continued over into 7 after the upgrade.

I have tried everything I can think of to get this thing up and running, pouring through MS forums that were literally hundreds of posts, if not thousands, and reading all the stuff from people with similar problems, but none of the information found was of any use. The drivers are fine, the firmware in the router is fine (and I just updated it anyhow) the NICs both are fine. Everything is fine except for some stupid setting somewhere that has determined that it hates working and wants to take the rest of it's life off. Of course, I'm sure it still expects to be paid, cause everyone wants something for nothing. But really, I'm out of ideas. WTF Windows? I'm lost. DHCP is turned on, and Windows cannot detect it and get it's settings from it. Help!!

Mike

dustyjay

Jay
You might get a better response if you asked a moderator to move this to the networking forum, when I had Networkng problems while using Win 7 that is where I got the answers to my problems.

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
mike: To do what "DJ" advises, click "Report" and then insert the request.

I agree that a move to that Forum is advised.

{redoak}

mikecole79

I have attempted to get this thing moved several times now, and I keep getting a 503 error. If there's any moderators running around who see this, please move this thread to the networking section. I will try again in a few hours to send the report requesting this action.

Mike

dustyjay

Jay
Mike I made the request for you. I hope that helps some. Sorry I couldn't be more help but I am not a Networking Guru myself.

mikecole79

lol. After I posted the request to have a moderator move it on here, I found that it was already moved as well. It's possible one of them saw and moved it themselves, I suppose, or that one of my messages got through the server errors. Who knows. But I do appreciate the help. Hopefully someone will have an idea. I'm about to wipe the thing and start from scratch, and I really HATE having to do that on someone elses computer. For me, I wipe my own and re-image it 2 or 3 times a year, but I actually have an image saved of the exact setup I want. And when that changes, I create a new image. I don't have the ability to always have the exact backup image of how the drive should be when working with other peoples computers, sadly.

Oh well. Life goes on. Thanks for the help, and the redirection.

Mike

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online