1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista stuck at "Please Wait" on login

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Mindbender, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mindbender

Mindbender Thread Starter

Ok, so I'm trying to fix my fiances computer, and I'm having some difficulties pinpointing the problem's origin. She has a dell studio 1535, running Vista Home Edition, 3 Gb of RAM, Intel duo 6400 processor (I believe) and an ATI Mobile Radeon 3400 Graphics Card.

The problem is when it tries to boot into normal mode, it goes through the boot screen, then tries to load the accounts at the login screen but the accounts never come up. Instead you see "Please Wait" -> Black screen -> "Please Wait" -> Black screen over and over again until you turn off the computer (rarely the computer will restart itself). The cursor is still seen and moveable(doing the loading circle constantly) but otherwise that's all that can be done.

You can get into Safe Mode without a problem, and I talked her through how to restore it to before Christmas over the phone (which she did) but it didn't fix the issue. I've tried to restore further back than that but for some reason all of the restore points have been deleted now. I've tried installing KAV to run a scan in safe mode, but even running as admin, it begins to run the install file then just goes away without a reason. Also as it turns out she hasn't had an Anti-Virus software running for about 9 months (I have no idea why) and she is on the internet a lot.

I've tried messing with the display drivers (disabling them and restarting in normal mode) but with no success, as well as diagnostic startup with nothing running but main Window services but still no change. She does have the facial recognition software but it's been disabled at login I'm told for awhile. I thought this might be messing it up, but I can't uninstall it in safe mode for some reason. I've also deleted all other accounts but one trying to get it to auto login at startup, but I can't remove the password in safe mode on her account to see if this affects it. I've also run the repair disk that came as a partition on the hard drive but it couldn't find anything wrong (will a real boot disk have different results?)

I've considered reformatting but only as a last resort, since there are a lot of programs that are needed on there. I've also thought about upgrading her to a Windows 7 of mine, but I believe you have to be logged in to do that (not sure if you have to be in normal mode though).

So with this in mind I come to you with request to help solve this issue. Let me know anything else you need to know about the system. I'm not at home right now, but will be later today after classes are done to try any suggestions you might have.

Thanks in advance!

2. joeten

joeten

3. Mindbender

Mindbender Thread Starter

None those worked for me. Looks like I'm stuck reformatting then. Thanks for your help!

4. joeten

joeten

Hi did you read through num3 as it takes a few more steps when you have service packs

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/897708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice