1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista - System keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by juliegreen, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. juliegreen

juliegreen Thread Starter

Have installed Vista Premium 32 bit. Have now managed to install all windows updates and have Norton 2007 Security running. System is ok for a while but then crashes, screen goes blue. When reboot options to use safe mode etc, I use normal and system is ok but then crashes. Any suggestions as to what can be causing this? I have installed the HSF supplied with the CPU and another chassis 120mm fan. System:

Intel Dual Core E6320
    Asus P5VD2-vm
    2 GB ram
    ASUS 19" widescreen
    250 GB Maxtor HDD

Cheers

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Hello.
    1. When did the problem begin? Before or after installing Norton 2007? Which Norton 2007? Before obtaining all the updates? Which update?

2. Do you have Vista setup so you login, with a password? If yes, boot the computer, leave it at the login screen. Does the computer crash? If not, the problem is probably not heat related.

Which graphics / video card is installed? The problem could be related to the use of a program which requires extensive graphics card involvement, which would NOT occur at the login screen.

3. In safe mode, start > programs >accessories > run
    type: eventvwr.exe
    click "ok"
    On the left, left click the ">" to the left of "windows logs"
    Left click "system"; on the right, scroll if necessary, looking for errors

Provide the "event id", "source" and information in the "general" area, below the list of events recorded.

Do the same for "applications"

4. Try clean boot troubleshooting. This article is for XP; Microsoft doesn't have 1 yet for Vista; but the steps are appropriate.

RF123

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

4. juliegreen

Hi

As per your email I will re post what I sent to you:

I installed Vista, updated windows and installed all updates, installed Norton, updated and installed all updates.

The system is set up with passwords and the system does not crash. I use the onboard graphics.

The system was built for a friend so I have not had chance to follow your instructions in point 3. My friend was using the internet and her son was playing on a free game on the internet when it was happening. The system reported keeps closing down for no reason and in the history it stated blue screen.

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

JG:
    Please continue, to step 3.

When does the computer crash, during boot, at the desktop, when using a specific program?

In event viewer, also look at "Internet Explorer".

RF123

6. juliegreen

Hi RF123

I have now got the pc back and have followed step 3. There are loads of errors but I will list them below:

Windows

Event 6008 Source - EventL - Previous system shutdown was unexpected
    Event 10010 - Source Distrib - The server (0002F01-0000-000-00000000046) did not register with DCOM within the required timeout

Event 1005 - Source Distrib - DCOM got error 1084 attempting to start the service ShellHDetection with arguments (in order to run the server) DD522ACC-f821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC

Event 10005 - Source Distrib - DCOM got error 1084 attempting to start EventSystem
    Event 10005 - Source Distrib - DCOM got error 1068 attempting to start netman
    Event 10005 - Source Distrib - DCOM got error 1068 attempting to start netprofm
    Event 10005 - Source Distrib - DCOM got error 1068 attempting to start FdPHost
    Event 10005 - Source Distrib - DCOM got error 1084 attemptin to start WSearch
    Event 7001 - Source Service - Computer Browser service depends on the server service which failed to start because of following error "the dependency service or group failed to start"

Event 7026 - Source Service - The following boot.start or system-start driver (s) failed to load AsIO eectrl

Event 10005 - Source Distrib - DCOM got error 1084 wuauserv

Event 5 - Source kernel - (Registry Hive Recovered)Registry hive (file): \systemroot\system32\config\SOFTWARE

Event 4385 - Source Servicing - Windows Servicing failed to complete proess of changing update package KB937077(update) into staging (staging) state

Event 4375 - Source Servicing - Windows Servicing failed to complete KB937077

Applications

8194 - Source VSS - Volume shadow copy service error unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface

Event 4373 - Source Windo - The descriptio for Event ID4373 from source windows installer 3.1

Event 1000 - Source applic - Faulting application SerachIndexer.exe. version 6..6000.16386 time stamp ox4549b667, faulting module ntdll.dll version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp ox4549bdc9, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000af1c9, process id 0x978. application start time 0x01c7be6112325ab6

Event 4607 - Source EventS - The COM Event System detected bad return code udring its internal processing

Event 455 - source ESENT - Catalog Database (1400) Catalog Database: Error - 1811 occurred while opening logfile c:\windows\system32\catroot2\edb00061.log

Event 257 - Source CAPI2 - Cryptographics Srvices service failed to initialise the Catalog Database. The ESENT error was 528

Event 1000 - Source applic - Faulting application TrustedInstaller.exe
    Event 1000 - Source applic - Faulting application iexplore.exe
    Event 1000 - Source applic - Faulting application PurblePlace.exe

Event 20227 - Source RasClient - User dialed connection which has failed the error code returned on failure is 692

Well if you are not asleep by now I am very lucky!

My friend had downloaded MSN Messinger 7.0 and Adobe 8. I have uninstalled MSN Messinger now. When the machine is connected to my network I do not have any problems. I have not updated the BIOS. What are your thoughts

Cheers

JG

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

JG:
    Thanks.

Was the computer booted to safe mode when those errors occurred? If so, the errors can be unimportant, unless them occur, also, in normal mode. If they were in normal mode, I'll look into them.

1. Boot to safe mode with networking. Tap the F8 key, once a second during the boot process. Using the up / down arrow keys, select safe mode with networking. Press "enter". Log into Windows. Test the system.

2. In normal mode, crate a folder on the C:, called HJT
    Go to www.merijn.org . Click on "downloads" on the left. Go to HiJackThis.
    Download HiJackThis from 1 of the links. I use merijn.org . Save it to C:\HJT

start > programs > accessories > run
    type: msconfig
    click "ok"
    Be sure the computer is in "normal" mode. If it is not, click on the tabs, such as "services" and "startup". Note the items that are checked and unchecked. Keep the list. You don't need to provide it at this time.
    Click "ok".
    Restart the computer if the computer was not in normal mode.
    Exit without restarting if the computer was in normal mode.

Run HJT.
    Save a file.
    Reboot to normal mode.
    Post the results in a reply to this thread.

RF123

8. juliegreen

Hi RF123

The errors listed previously all occurred during normal mode. Before I did anything today I tested one of the games within Vista - PurblePlace. Within 1 minute of the game loading, the system crashed. I then went into safemode with networking, tried testing the system, but there wasn't much to test. I rebooted back into normal mode, and followed your instructions. After running HiJackThis I did not click fix. I go the following message - R1 - HKCU1\software\microsoft\internetExplorer\Main,searchBar = Http://g.MSN.co.uk/OSEENGBSAO501?FORM=TOOLBR

Detailed info - A Registry Value that has been created and is not present ina defualt Windows install nor needed, possibly resulting in a Changed IE search Page, Start Page, Search Bar Page or Search Assistant (action taken: Registry Value is deleted).

I tried playing the game again and the system crashed immediately. I rebooted into normal and the system didn't even load the desktop fully before crashing, the same again, so I went into safe mode with networking and made a note of the errors:

Application
    4609 - Event S - The COM+ Event System detected a bade return code during its internal processing HRESULT was 8007043c from line 45 of d:\vistartm\COM\complus\src\events\tier1\eventsystemmobj.cpp.

System
    7026 - Service - The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: AsIO eeCtrl

I have noticed when I am using internet explorer, if you click onto the favorites they do not work. It was working initially.

Can't wait for my next set of instructions!! Glad for your advice.

JG

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

JG:
    Thanks for the information & your enthusiasm.

1. Download, install, run HJT, as above.

2. "I then went into safemode with networking, tried testing the system, but there wasn't much to test."

"System is ok for a while but then crashes, screen goes blue. When reboot options to use safe mode etc, I use normal and system is ok but then crashes."

During what programs does the computer crash? Does the computer crash randomly? Does it crash after running for 5 minutes, an hour?

Boot to safe mode & use the computer as if you were in normal mode.

If the computer doesn't crash, when in safe mode w/ networking, we know that it crashed because a program or service that was running in normal mode caused the problem. Then, by process of elimination [ clean boot troubleshooting ] we can determine the cause.

RF123

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

JG:

Does the computer crash when playing purble place?

If yes, please play purble place while in safe mode w/ networking.

Does the system crash?

RF123

11. Irish Hooligan

Irish Hooligan

RAINFOREST123

I looked at the error codes and copied the things that jumped out at me.

Norton 2007 Security running (n) (Vista my not like norton yet)

The system was built for a friend (n) (Vista doesn't like do it yourself PC builders...yet)

Windows Servicing failed to complete proess of changing update package (n) (No update, no Vista. )

I don't have a Vista computer, I'm just going with my gut and what I've read about Vista. I have no idea what 99% of the codes mean.

The big bug bombs I've seen with Vista are, upgrading from XP, Installing Vista on a computer you built yourself and dual booting. I've spent a lot of time on the net looking into Vista. Most Vista horror stories involve one or more of these ingredients.

People with quality name brand factory made Vista computers don't have as many hard to fix problems.

In my opinion, I would ask anyone with a Vista problem where they got their computer and OS first and foremost. From what I have read from the posts, juliegreens computer is home made. Windows XP loves homemade computers. Vista will too...someday.

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

IH:
    Thanks.

I have worked on Vista PCs that I have built and that were built by OEMs, some of which function without problems; some of which have problems. I have had varying success with Norton on Vista.

Yes, it will take a while for Vista to play well with all hardware & software.

RF123

13. juliegreen

Hi RF123

When I run HJT do I select to fix the problems?

When I go into safemode with networking nothing seems to work ie games, cannot connect to the network so it is difficult to test. The main cause for crashing the system was when I used the games loaded as part of Vista, Purble Place. It crashed after about 5 minutes.

When I originally ran HJT the detailed information was - a registry value that has been created and is not present in a default windows install nor needed, possibly resulting in a changed IE search page, start page, search bar page or search assistant (action taken: registry value is deleted). Not sure what all this means.

The system now will not use the favorites in Explorer, cannot access the games within Vista and the sound has disappeared. I thought of maybe installing Vista again from fresh but my concern is activating, not sure how many times you can activate the products.

All other aspects of the system work fine, emailing, browsing etc.

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

JG:
    1. HJT. No, create the log. Post the log.

2. Games. " cannot access the games within Vista "
    Can you access the games in safe mode w/ networking?

RF123

15. Irish Hooligan

Irish Hooligan

By your last response to mine, you are the person I need to ask since you have hands on experience with all types of Vista installs.

My question is; :confused:

What percentage of average computer users who buy a Vista computer from a big name company never have any problems with it?

A follow up question is;

Was XP like Vista when it came out? I mean as far as tech nay sayers that said it was the worst ever and the end of Microsoft.

Here's a vista nay sayer blog link to show you what I mean.
    http://badvista.fsf.org/search?portal_type=rss_item&sort_on=getRssDate&sort_order=reverse&getRssID:list=2

Lastly, would you recommend Vista as it is now to an average computer user who only has one computer and needs it to work like he needs a car to work?

I will value your opinion. Thanx :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice