1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista; time to format external = slightly more than one ice age?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by fairnooks, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned Thread Starter

Is this just my two systems or what? I tried to full format two 750GB external HDs using Vista (SP1), one via USB, one via Firewire connection. The USB format ran overnight, approx. 8 hours and it was about 1/3rd finished when I said this is ridiculous and killed it. With the 1394 on the other Vista, same thing except I let it run less than one hour and it only had the first blue bump in the progress bar showing, indicating it was looking like another 24-36 hour task. Xp handled both full formats in the timely fashion I have come to expect (two or three hours maybe? I'm never sure since I usually start and walk on formats).

Anyone know why its so dead dog slow on Vista or what I'm missing to get normal speed formats?

Also, I just fired up Premiere Elements and I was going to do a little editing across the network which is a little slow in XP (compared to a file that's native to the machine) but again, its dead dog slow in Vista to generate what Premiere calls a Peak file, which I think is a sort of indexed meta-edit file. In XP it might take 1.5 to 2 minutes to generate that file over the network with a .650 gig source wave file. So far the first Peak file generation took 36 minutes in Vista and the second is not looking any faster.

So what gives there? I looks like a poor network interaction to me.

Other than that, I really don't have any complaints about speed and performance and it was in fact because the two systems running Vista are more capable that I was trying to use them for formatting and network editing.

Anyway, defenders of Vista unite, and tell me what's going on...

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned Thread Starter

Found a KB article (941961) that describes what might be the problem. Seems a full format in Vista writes zeroes to the target drive (once? twice? DOD?) and something in the methodology triggers premature allocation of backing space with a volume storage provider like SAN. Now, if I could have the plain English version...

It doesn't exactly say what the problem's symptoms are nor does it say if an ordinary external drive applies but at least its a hypothesis. The solution of course is not what a person always wants to follow; quick format, or better, use XP.

Nothing forthcoming on the nuts and bolts of why indexing a file from across a local network is so slow, though again the solution is to use XP instead.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753543

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice