1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Vista to Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by punkybunge, Aug 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. punkybunge

punkybunge Thread Starter

First Name:
    Nola
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4085 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 217 GB (107 GB Free); D: 15 GB (5 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gateway,
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I need to get something on this laptop that will update. Vista will not, so I want to try to put Windows 7 on here. Does anyone know where I can download Windows 7 so I can burn it onto a DVD? I did that with Windows 8.1 and have it but I don't think this pc can do 8.1. Can someone tell me where I should start? Will I need to uninstall Vista and how do I do that? (n)(n)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No genuine legitimate Windows 7 can be downloaded. Any version that can be is pirated, and as I'm sure you know we do not help with that.

It's extremely unlikely that you will be able to find a legal copy of Windows 7. It would have to be a retail version that is no longer used or an "update" version that was never used.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I think you could install 8.1 on that computer.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Nola:

We've had a discussion before about that 10-year old Gateway M-6848 laptop.
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-update.1212613/

That laptop isn't worth investing any money into, and a legitimate copy of Windows 7 SP1(if you can find it) or Windows 10 will cost more than what it's worth.

You really should move to a newer and faster refurbished one which comes with one of those operating systems already installed.

Frank

---------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214325

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice