1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista to XP - Drivers

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by soar93, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. soar93

soar93 Thread Starter

I would like to install Win XP on a Sony Laptop that has Vista preinstalled. That part is easy. The problem is not knowing if I will have appropriate drivers for all of the hardware items. (Not yet purchased but considering a Sony FE model)

Will Win XP have appropriate drivers?
    Will drivers on the furnished Vista formatted restore disk have drivers that will work with Win XP?
    Or where should I be looking?

I asked Sony and of course they refused to help.

Thanks in advance.

2. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    Yes, I suspect most of the hardware on the laptop will have Windows xP drivers.
    You didn't mention the model of the laptop so there no way to check completely.
    Check the Sony Support pages for drivers.

3. soar93

soar93 Thread Starter

I did mention that I was considering a Sony FE model. The Sony support web site provides only what appears to be Vista drivers for this model. They also provide what appears to be a download for a Vista restore disk. However, there is no XP drivers.

4. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    In Device Manager, what devices are listed for: Motherboard, graphics, sound, network?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Given that laptops have proprietary hardware and obviously customized system boards, I would not recommend downloading drivers anywhere but from Sony's web site. If Sony doesn't provide Windows XP drivers, then I'd steer clear of XP on that system.

6. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    I would agree with that for the Motherboard but AFAIK Sony still use generic graphics, network and sound components. So, you could have a system with some of the drivers installed and use the XP generic drivers for everything else ....

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you cannot find xp drivers, then do not install xp. Your nic, touchpad, etc may or may not work. It is up to you if you want to experiment and find out.

FWIW I would just use vista unless you have some proprietary software that will not work AND you must use that software.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There won't necessarily be generic Windows XP drivers for brand new hardware that was created well after Windows XP was released.

9. bchristian

bchristian

Hope this advice is not too late, but you might want to check this branch of Sony's FTP area:

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/OS/

You should see two subdirectories there, and one is called XPDOWNGRADE. Inside, you will find drivers for about six different model types, unfortunately, FS is not one of them.

I have an FZ180E that I was extremely disappointed with once I discovered that none of my existing software was compatible with Vista. I went through the whole frustration of searching for XP drivers on Sony's support website, and then I discovered their hidden secret. :) I'm now running XP with no problems. Hope this helps. You might also try snooping around more on that FTP server, the PUB area is pretty big, maybe you might find exactly what you are looking for.

Regards,
    Bill.

10. heaydin

heaydin

Bchristian , hi
    Thank you so much for the link. I think you used FZ19 link.
    But it has no nvidia 8400M GT display driver for xp.
    How did you solve this problem?
    Thanks.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592186

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice