1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista to XP file sharing (AD HOC)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mbrogden, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mbrogden

mbrogden Thread Starter

Hi all

I have 2 machines, 1 with Vista and the other with XP

I have just set up an ad-hoc network on my vista machine and connected both machines to it.

I can see the computers on both workgroups, however i can not access them. When i double click on the XP machine (in workgroup computers) it comes up with a user name and password panel. Neither of my computers have passwords so i have no idea what the user name or password would be.

Any suggestions????

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

That's your problem. Unlike XP, Vista requires that accounts have passwords to be able to share. (This is a good thing.) Put passwords on both the XP and Vista machines. Make sure that the account on the XP machine that will be requesting resources from the Vista machine has an identical account on the Vista machine. This is because when you try to log into the Vista machine from the XP machine, Vista will verify the password that it has, not the one that comes across the network. Vice-versa for the XP machine.

By the way, blank passwords don't match.

Courtney

3. mbrogden

mbrogden Thread Starter

I dont understand what you mean

I log onto my laptop under Martin with a password and the log on info is the same for the other computer.

When i double click on one of the computers in "My Network" it then asks me for a username and password. I type in my logon and password and it denies me.

4. mbrogden

mbrogden Thread Starter

i have managed to access shared documents on my vista machine by unticking password protected sharing, however the problem still persists on the vista machine when trying to access the shared files on xp

Is there a password thing somewhere on XP i can untick

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Create a user account on the XP machine that matches the login information for the Vista machine.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/872994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice