1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VISTA-Tranferring files from CD-RW on comp.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Hustleit, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hustleit

Hustleit Thread Starter

I have many music, word, and movie files on my old windows xp computer.
    I want to transfer them to my new vista computer using CD-RW discs.
    I have zipped all files with Winrar, Burned them to a CD-RW, then when i drap and drop files to my new pc, an error comes up stating
    " Cannot read from the source file or disk."
    I have no idea what to do? Please help, Thanks.

2. unbidden

unbidden

I take it you are not networked.

You could opt for a usb bridge cable an avoid the hassle of burning and transfering.
    Prices vary, here is a usb 2.0, the 1.1 cable can be had cheaper.

http://www.usbfiletransfer.com/

I should also mention, it could just be the drive in the Vista machine doesn't like the burn. You could try installing the drive you burned with into the Vista machine if that is an option (desktop or laptop?)

3. Hustleit

Hustleit Thread Starter

Can you explain networked please because i think i can do that with mine if it makes it a lot easier.

4. unbidden

unbidden

How are you connected to the internet? By router be it wireless or hard wired. IOW's are there a group of 2 or more computers sharing the same internet connection? If so, you only need to join the 2 machines (network) and share the given files.

5. Hustleit

Hustleit Thread Starter

Awsome, mine are connected via wireless. Can you give any quick explanation on how to network?

6. unbidden

unbidden

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A flash drive would be a faster and easier solution than setting up a network for one-time use. Vista can be a bit finicky when it comes to file sharing.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What is the size of the amount of files you want to transfer. Unless you have some extremely large flash drives, anything over a few gigs and you might as well just set up a network. Then you have it in place when you want to transfer anything else in the future.

9. unbidden

unbidden

Thats why I suggested sticking with the Public folder as it pretty simple. Also he mentioned movies and music so he could have mega-gigs of info and there is no need to purchase anything else.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Exactly. Would be somewhat cumbersome for example to transfer several hundred gigs of files to and then from a flash drive, over and over again.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The poster is using CD-RW disks. I doubt hundreds of gigs of data are involved.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Oh so sorry for the typo. Certainly not hundreds. Or may be a few hundred gigs. Hard to tell given all the amount and types of files mentioned in the first post. For example, I have around 200 gigs of pictures and about 30 gigs of music files. And that doesn't even include all the movies.

Or were you referring to unbidden other post - "he could have mega-gigs of info and there is no need to purchase anything else."

But given the information in the first post - "I have many music, word, and movie files", it certainly doesn't look like any small amount.

Another solution, other than networking, that won't cost you anything and can transfer all your files at once, would be to connect the original drive to the new computer as a slave. It will show up as another hard drive and you can use the Windows Explorer to copy everything.

13. unbidden

unbidden

My thought is he has two machines and apparently the ability to create a workgroup, therefore why not do it. He can use each pc to back up the other.

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Makes total sense. Especially from the information given in the first post.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698738

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice