1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Ultimate 32: high CPU usage does not correspond with process usage

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dming, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dming

dming Thread Starter

Hi,

I just bought my brand new laptop and have loaded Vista Ultimate 32bit onto it for about 5 days. I noticed something unusual about Vista's CPU usage while idle in the task manager as well as the Resource monitor.

I have attached two pictures to show my problem. Notice that my CPU usage is always at about 40-60% on both of my cores. However, the average CPU usage per process shows that it should actually occupy about 15% to at most 20% (by adding up all the highest average CPU for processes in the first picture). The second picture I attached shows the current CPU usage sorted by max usage, and again it does not add up to 41%!

Although at 40-60% usage, I do not notice any major performance impacts, as both cores are not loaded to the max. However, I do notice Vista chewing up more battery than needed when I have my laptop running off batteries. Because the max frequency for the processor would always need to be raised to around 60% even when idle (instead of say... 10-20%).

I have searched online for various problems relating to high CPU usage, and most of the responses are about tracing down which process is the culprit. Well, this is where I'm stumped because it all does not add up! According to the process view, everything is normal but my system resources are still get constantly chewed up by something invisible it seems.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this point!

Attached Files:

2. dming

dming Thread Starter

Posting two more image to show this problem from the task manager...

Notice that the system idle process is 84, and yet CPU usage is 42? I always thought that:
    CPU usage + idle process = 100?

Perhaps things are done differently with dual core processors? This is my first dual core so I'm not sure. The second image shows how both my cores are being used roughly equally, at around 50%.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/655874

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice