1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Ultimate 64x blocking ALL my ports, HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Iroc57, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Iroc57

Iroc57 Thread Starter

For some reason, all of my ports are blocked through Vista, and I cannot connect through any of them using sites such as canyouseeme.org. before answering, please know that I've tried these things:

I have tried forwarding the ports I am testing on my router, no luck
    I have tried putting the computer in the routers DMZ, no luck
    I have connected directly through the modem, no luck
    I have tried resetting the modem to factory settings, no luck
    I have tested my XBOX 360s connection, it is good (proving that the issue is NOT my router or Modem)
    I have made sure that Windows firewall is OFF
    I have NOT installed any other antivirus/firewall programs
    I HAVE updated my ethernet drivers, no luck

I am by no means computer illiterate, and have been doing 3 straight hours of research trying to figure this out, and it has officially stumped me. I have concluded with 99% sureity that the problem is not with the router or modem, but i will be calling my ISP tomorrow to turn that into 100%. Has anyone had this problem? or even any creative ideas? my slow downloads are simply killing me, and with all the money spent on vista, it should be an UPGRADE to xp.

Thanks in advance, and oh, PLEASE take the time to read what steps I have already taken, I can see it coming... twenty people posting telling me to turn off my firewall, lol.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Does the samething happen if you go into Safe Mode with Networking

3. Iroc57

Iroc57 Thread Starter

ill check that right now

4. Iroc57

Iroc57 Thread Starter

No luck, my ports are still closed, canyouseeme.org cant find it, and shields up cant even connect to 139 to scan the rest of the ports

5. Curly

Curly

Modems often have integrated routers. Have you checked its configuration? Does your ISP block ports? And you do not have antivirus software; are you sure that you are not infected?

6. Iroc57

Iroc57 Thread Starter

like i said, my modem seems fine, my xbox 360 is able to connect with open NAT after port forwarding it. Just downloaded avg and scan says clean

7. Curly

Curly

I do not know anything about xbox, what it means to connect it, or what you mean by open NAT.

Try your computer on a different network known to have no port forwarding problems. Try a computer known to have no port problems on your network. Try multiple ports. You mentioned Shields Up (Steve Gibson is great, isn't he?! :)), so I am sure you know how to try numerous ports.

And being, as you said, by no means computer illiterate, I am sure you know that results of one antivirus application are by no means conclusive. No application will find 100% of infections. And once you are infected, some malware may prevent themselves from being discovered.

If forwarding does not work on networks that are known to have no problems, then yes -- the problem is your computer. But this is not normal behavior of Vista, so the only answer would be malware or a third party app that you have forgotten.

Does your modem respond to ping on its WAN port? It may require special configuration.

8. Iroc57

Iroc57 Thread Starter

basically, the xbox test, was in place of the second computer on a network. Just so you know, if you connect the xbox to a network without forwarding the ports you will most often get a closed NAT, your connection will be slower than it should be. By successfully forwarding the ports, and opening the NAT, it proves that it is not my router/modem. THATS why i checked with the xbox.

As for viruses, it is highly unlikely that this computer is infected. I have installed vista like three days ago, and have installed nothing but trusted programs

Just pinged the WAN port and it appears normal

9. Curly

Curly

Vista itself does not block ports. So something else is causing this. The question is, what?

It could be Vista's firewall. It could third-party software. It could be the router. It could be malware. And going by your response that the modem itself responds to WAN pings, it could be the modem.

The Windows Firewall has been known to re-enable itself. Humor me and check it again. :) And how is the Security Center service configured? Is it started? Try disabling it.

I am a little perplexed (and intrigued!) by how your modem responds to ping on its WAN port. This is very rare. What make and model are your modem and router? But maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean by the modem's WAN port appears normal. What do you mean?

10. Iroc57

Iroc57 Thread Starter

modem is an motorola sb5100, router is belkin F5D7230-4.

and yes lol, the firewall is still off. I tried disabling the security center service, and that had no effect.

by normal, i mean pinging the ip worked, no delays or timeouts or whatever.

I am about to call my ISP and have them check it out on their end right now

11. Curly

Curly

I see no way to disable ICMP requests in the user manual of the 5100. I would be a bit upset if it itself does respond to ping, because there would be no way to disable it and I would not want to announce to the entire world that my network exists. I want that to be at my discretion.

I am waiting for your ISP's response with curiosity. But often I find that ISPs dance around the question of blocked ports by providing incomplete or wrong information. Be sure to tell them the exact port numbers you wish to use.

Otherwise I am at a loss. I will reply again if I come up with a new idea.

12. Iroc57

Iroc57 Thread Starter

the ISP said its fine on their end. basically im only left with one option: I can get a laptop to test on the network tomorrow. If the laptop is fine then i hafta reinstall vista. If the laptop is also blocked then something went very wrong with the modem and cox will have to replace it.

Ill let you guys know which one

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/843626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice