1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Ultimate, file permission issue

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by awpti, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awpti

awpti Thread Starter

Okay, here's what I've got:

Music video file named: Evanescence-My_Immortal(dvd-2nafish).mpeg

Resides in: c:\users\(myuser)\downloads\

I can not delete, rename or..do anything to this file or the directory it resides in. I "Do not have permission". This is the same with the true administrator account as well.

File permission and ownership is perfectly file.

KillBox doesn't see the file.
    Boot and Nuke can't see the file and neither can any of the other utilities.

This is not an invalid file - i can play the video with PowerDVD and Windows Media Player.

I can't figure out what else to do. I'd prefer to just rename the file and move it where it should be, but I can't.

Any thoughts?

----------------------------

RESOLUTION:

Download processexplorer.

http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip

Run Process Explorer.

Click on "Find"->"File Handle or DLL"

Type in the name of the file that is giving you trouble. Click on any items that show up and "Close Handle". This may cause Windows Explorer to freak out for a second, but it's fine.

You can now delete the file.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice