1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Ultimate problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by axagirl, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. axagirl

axagirl Thread Starter

Hello, all! I am having a problem again with my HP dv6000 laptop running Vista Ultimate 64 bit. Found it unresponsive tonight about 6 p.m. after using it normally earlier in the day. Shut it down manually. When I restarted it, everything was sluggish. I tried to run a Malwarebytes scan, but it froze up. After several manual shut downs and restarts, it booted up with a normal login screen. I check the AVG scan history, and there had been several infections found earlier in the month, something to do with Vongo and trojan horses. I was unaware of anything being wrong. Apparently 4 of the 6 infections were cleared, and the subsequent AVG scans had found no problems since about 12/21. I was able to successfully run the MWBytes scan, and it showed no problems. I updated and scanned with Superantispyware, but when the scan finished (with 71 instances of Adware found), nothing happened when I clicked on "next," it just froze up. I opened the Task Manager, but even that froze up. Shut everything down again, and now am having problems getting anything to boot up. Currently looking at a blue screen. Writing this from my husband's computer. I've tried to hit F8 and boot up in safe mode and safe mode with networking earlier, but it seemed to freeze in the middle of that as well. I'm pretty much out of options. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

I would leave things alone and wait for a Qualified Member or Moderator from this Forum (who have Passed Malware/Virus qualification test) to help you out, mucking around with your Computer with Malware/Viruses in your system can cause more damage than good.

Good luck and Happy'sh New Year.
    Ray

3. axagirl

axagirl Thread Starter

Finally booted in safe mode and ran MWBAM...nothing showed up. Then did a system restore and went to bed. This morning had a normal log-in screen and everything seems as usual. Will not mark it solved yet until I see how things continue to work. Thanks

On an interesting note...while working on hubby's computer, I checked his AVG scan history. He had the exact same pattern of infections found on the same days, which seemingly cleared up on the same day mine did. Was this just an AVG glitch? All of them were related to Vongo and mentioned "trojan horse."

4. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Apparently there are a lot of people having problems with the latest version of AVG and that is why some people are dumping it.

You could try a very well recommended
    Microsoft Security Essentials 2 or the Free Avast.
    These are just a couple of Free ones out there.

5. axagirl

axagirl Thread Starter

We didn't upgrade to the new AVG...ours is still the 9.0 b/c of all the problems I read about with the 11.0. But thanks for the ideas in case we need them.

My computer is working fine right now. Last night it went through a period of quirkiness, mainly with a sluggishness when I clicked on things. I pulled up an event log, but nothing seemed out of order. I'll give it another day.

6. axagirl

axagirl Thread Starter

Been on the computer more today. Several incidences of things freezing up. MWBAM stopped responding, task manager stopped responding. Had to do Control/Alt/Delete and log off to recover. Ran a Superantispyware scan which showed nothing except some adware. Did a system health report, and it showed that a service was stopped...the CLScheduler. I restarted the service and am about to try another MWBAM scan. Any advice? Thanks.

7. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice