1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VISTA Ultimate Upgrade Reboots with Memory Upgrade to 3 GB

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by RonRuben, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RonRuben

RonRuben Thread Starter

I have a home built ASUS A7N8X2 Deluxe MoBo with an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ CPU. I upgraded Win XP Pro to VISTA Ultimate with no problems other than upgrading a few drivers. It went smoothly. At the time I had 1 GB in one of 3 available slots. I attempted to add 2 GB more to occupy all 3 slots. This produced a reboot after POST as VISTA started. I rotated the the modules through all slots and finally realized that when I went beyond 2 GB it produced a reboot. During post it tests 3 GB and the BIOS displays 3 GB. I have 512MB of RAM on the video card. Any suggestions ?? I am running the latest BIOS and if I remove one GB the machine boots and runs great... ???? Ron

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Have you actually tested the memory? I'd run through several passes of Memtest86+ to make sure its not faulty memory, a bad memory slot, or a incompatible combination.

Memtest86+: http://www.memtest.org/

4. RonRuben

RonRuben Thread Starter

Yes I did all of the above and it did not matter which TWO were in use only that all three not be present????

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

OK,but when you ran the diagnostics with the three sticks, did it fail the diagnostics?

6. junialum

junialum

Are you using a SB soundcard?

7. RonRuben

RonRuben Thread Starter

Regards Sound card No I am using the onboard Realtek AC'97 not Sound Blaster...

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Is this matched ram (same exact thing?)...I bet not!

9. kaaos

kaaos

sounds like a cas issue. the latencies are not matched.

10. RonRuben

RonRuben Thread Starter

All three DIMM are CRUCIAL PC3200 1GB modules and the same part number. I have rotated through all three slots and used all three DIMM. It ONLY fails when all three slots are filled. Previously I had 1 GB and two 512 MB CRUCIAL DIMM and it worked fine, but again that equaled 2 GB... I don't know what to try next, I really believe the memory is fine and the slots (I have spent HOURS trying different combination). So where do I go in VISTA???

11. Sea-air

Sea-air

I came across your posting and have an identical problem. If you managed to solve the issue I would be grateful to know how. I am in contact with Crucial at the moment and could let you know if they come up with the answer.

12. kama64

kama64

13. Sea-air

Sea-air

Kama, thanks for your suggestion. I tried installing the update KB929777 and checked that it was installed but the issue was not resolved. The error message I get, when the blue screen gives me time to read, it is as you describe. Perhaps this solution did not work as the patch seems to be for computers with more than 3gb. i.e.

This problem occurs if the following conditions are true:
    • The computer uses more than 3 GB of RAM.
    • The computer uses a storage system that is running the Storport miniport driver.
    • The computer uses a controller that uses 32-bit direct memory access (DMA).

I am trying to install 3gb. I've tried using safe mode with prompts. The computer always stops at "Windows/System32/drivers/crcdisk.sys"

14. RonRuben

RonRuben Thread Starter

I thought this update was the fix so I tried it theis morning... whikle I don't get a blue screen now it just reboots and reboots and reboots.... I also tried Safe Mode etc., no luck... anybody else have a clue out there???? Ron

15. Sea-air

Sea-air

Ron. I've found that the blue screen will sometimes happen sometimes not. A solution that was suggested to me by ASUS was as below. It did not work on my computer but may on yours. It involves lowering the frequency of the memory which I think can affect the performance of games.

Enter BIOS----Advanced----Advanced Chipset Features----System Performance,

set it to USER DEFINED,

then set CPU external frequency to 200MHZ,

set memory frequency to 83%,

save and exit.

16. RonRuben

RonRuben Thread Starter

OK.... I will give it a shot.......(Thanks.....Ron)

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/549857