1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista - unable to open any .exe file

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by alex_d, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alex_d

alex_d Thread Starter

Hi, everyone!
    Unable to open any.exe file. "Open with" pops up everytime i try to open any file. I need to install antivirus software, but can't do it. Please reply asap.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Am I correct to assume that as you are trying to install Anti Virus software that this means you don't presently have any?

Some infections will block connections to Anti Virus sites or block the installation.

You would be better off opening a new thread in the Malware forum to get help as your system is probably infected.

3. alex_d

alex_d Thread Starter

What i ment was - "open with" window pops up everytime i want to open any .exe file. I had avast antivirus, but it expired. So i downloaded avira to install. Now i don't know how to cancel "open with" window from popping up. I want the OS to find proper programs for opening .exe files itself without asking me every time.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try this fix: EXEFIX

Unzip the fix and extract the .reg file to the desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry. Note that you need to be an Administrator to apply this fix.

Restart the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

5. alex_d

alex_d Thread Starter

Thank you, Phantom!
    Got it done!
    But now all got much werse.
    Can't find any files (pctures, movies etc.) Everything is gone. Nothing on the desktop except the recycle bin and Internet explorer shortcut.Getting loads of error messages like:
    - "Hard drive clusters partly damaged. Segment load failure"
    - RAM memory reliability is extremely low. This problem may cause system failure
    - Critical error. Hard drive critical error. Start a system diagnostics. bla-bla-bla... Got it done. Found some problems (mistakes). 8 of all can't be fixed.
    - Critical error. Windows OS can't detect a free hard drive space. hard drive error

Can anyone help with this?

6. alex_d

alex_d Thread Starter

One more error message popped up saying:
    - Files indexation process failed
    :(

7. abc12345

abc12345 Banned

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

This is looking like an infection. It is either that or your hard drive is failing. The first thing I would do before you try anything else is to back up all your important data to CD's or DVD's.

To check the hard drive you should run the manufacturer's diagnostics as follows.
    If chkdsk /r command and the diagnostics come up clean then I would suggest you get help in the Malware forum or do a format and reinstall the OS. By the sound of it your file system is badly corrupted so a reinstall may be the better option but not without checking the health of the hard drive first.

9. alex_d

alex_d Thread Starter

Thanx for above instructions!
    Got it running more or less.
    How can i get my files back to burn them on cd/flash memory?
    Can't find them in the system, but when the antivirus is scanning the system it scans all the files that i can not find in the system.
    any suggestions?

Thanx in advance!

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

It's not clear what instructions you have followed, running the disk check or the manufacturer's diagnostics.

Is there no trace of your personal files, can you still see the folders that they used to be in, if so, right click on the folder and select properties and see if it tells you if there are any files still there.

11. Mark1956

Mark1956

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice