1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista upgrade and drivers.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Magalon, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Magalon

Magalon Thread Starter

Hello there! I am thinking of getting Vista in a few days, and I have some question about drivers. I ran the Vista upgrade advisor, and it remarked on my realtek audio drivers needing upgrading for Vista, and that some programs wouldn't be compatible, but I was thinking, what about all the other drivers?

Will I have to download new bios for my motherboard to run Vista? Do I need to download the new display drivers that are for Vista before I actually install it, and then install those new drivers when Vista is installed?

What's the deal here?

2. Magalon

Magalon Thread Starter

Also, another thing I'm not that clear on. When I install Vista, I will do it when XP is running right? Should I install it on C? I want Vista to overwrite and replace XP, since I am not looking for a dual-boot configuration. What should I do?

3. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

You do not, initially, need to update anything. You will probably find the Vista realtek drivers will be OK. I would strongly advise against an overight - Not always, but in quite a lot of instances, it gives problems. A clean install is the better option. If you have another partition, with a comfortable, say, 20gigs, then, if XP is on C: , your best course is to start by running the Vista installation dvd from within XP. This will give you the option to install Vista on the second partition, and automatically set up the dual boot option. Perhaps then, when you have "experienced" Vista, you can decide if you need to keep XP. Vista will run as your default OS. If you go on this route, when the time comes to erase XP, DO NOT format. The start up MBR and new Vista Bootmng are on C: and it is quite a performance to recover them.

4. Magalon

Magalon Thread Starter

I should mention that this current Windows XP install is brand new (just a few weeks old) on a brand new system.

5. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

It will make no difference appropos my earlier posting. But. Remmber the golden rule. Make an image of your present system with Acronis or similar, before heading into unknown territory.

6. Magalon

Magalon Thread Starter

Okay, but I saw that there were Vista specific drivers on the ATI website. Should I just ignore those and upgrade to Vista using the drivers I currently have (8.3.2.1 on a x1900 xtx) and keep them when i've upgraded to Vista? Or should i uninstall them once Vista is up and running in favor of the Vista specific ones that are available at ATI's website?

Understood. But, if my goal is to overwrite the previous OS, when Vista asks what directory to install to, I should select C:, yes?

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Yes, but format it first.

8. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Vista has it's own ATI drivers. I also have n ATI card. I find the MS drivers, which are automatically installed, are working OK. In fact, as you realise, MS do not normally write their own drivers, so these are probably ATI specific anyway. However, ATI also have the "Catalyst" suite, which offers a huge choice of tweaking opportunities. Apart from those opportunities, I have not found a great deal of difference. In point of fact, if I play with the settings too much, I get a slight deterioration. That may be, of course, because of my particular card (9600 pro - 256).

9. Magalon

Magalon Thread Starter

If i format it, I won't have all of my programs/documents -_- That's what I'm after.

Okay, but is is possible to run with the special ATI drivers available on the website? Thanks.

10. Magalon

Magalon Thread Starter

Also, is it true that if I am running Windows XP Professional (which I am), that upgrading to Home Premium is absolutely impossible? I must upgrade to business? This is talking about an actual system upgrade, not a clean install.

11. DaveBurnett

Correct

Yes, afterwards.

12. Magalon

Magalon Thread Starter

That is some cryptic help you're giving me. I want to keep my old programs and documents, ergo, I am not formatting.

Thank you. I suppose I would have to refuse to install the Vista drivers that are given to me att boot up, and instead download the ones from ATI, unintall my old XP drivers, and then install the ATI drivers? or should i accept the vista drivers, get the ATI specific ones, uninstall the vista drivers, and instlal the ATI ones?

13. DaveBurnett

Given that you XP installation is only a few weeks old, I strongly advise that you copy your documents and settings to a safe place and do a complete fresh install as we have advised.
    The reason for this is because many programs actually detect what environment they are being installed under and modify their settings accordingly.
    When you do an upgrade, these settings are NOT changed for the new environment, and can cause problems.

You seem obsessed about the drivers, do NOT worry, that is one of the things that has improved with Vista. As long as it can find an internet connection it will update most of the drivers for you. You can always force another update later.

14. jmwills

jmwills

Most of the drivers included in Vista are generic Microsoft drivers and work well, however, it is alwsys better toget the actual driver you need from the device manufacturer.

If no one answered your question about the upgrade from Pro, I think it is possible to go from Pro to Premium.

15. Magalon

Magalon Thread Starter

Okay, if I want to format my hard-drive, I should save images, documents, etc. to a CD first right? That would require burning information to a DVD-ROM, yeah? Anyone have any ideas on free software that would allow me to burn 5 gbs of data to a CD?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice