1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista upgrade fail trying to not delete contents of hard drive!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by sinanp, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinanp

sinanp Thread Starter

Hi

I tried to upgrade my existing Vista with an upgrade so I could keep my existing programs and files. The reinstall was progressing ok and then I got a blank screen for an hour or so, assuming the reinstall was complete I turned the computer off but alas this wasn't the case. Now everytime I boot up I get the windows install failed message and to restart and reinstall. Of course this process just loops but if I load the installation CD from boot I only have the option to reinstall a clean version, ie loosing all my programmes and data. Is there a way I can either roll back the reinstall, access my HDD so I can move all the data to an external HD before doing a clean install or access the upgrade install option (this is ghosted out during the boot from CD, stating I need to do this through windows which I obviously can't!).

The reason for the upgrade was that a) the computer was getting really slow and b)I couldn't install most applications due to a 'side by side configuration' error message and thought this was due to a manual registry deleting effort on my behalf trying to remove traces of a prorgramme I was trying to reinstall that was having problems...

Help!

many thanks

ps I have a Dell XPS laptop

2. RobLinux

RobLinux

I've had a problem with the recent Oct 15th Security updates, causing my Dell to hardware reset & reboot after screen goes blank, on 3rd stage of configuring updates. It is the IE8 Cumulative security patch responsible on my machine, tried updating video driver to latest etc.

The (temporary) Solution for me was to boot with the Dell Vista DVD, and use System Restore to rollback to the last checkpoint before the update, found in the System Repair options.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/868973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice