1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista upgrade use on another computer

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rs001, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rs001

rs001 Thread Starter

I have an HP desktop running XP Media Center. I just recently purchased a Toshiba laptop running XP Media Center as well. The new purchase came with an offer to upgrade to vista for free when available. Now, here's the issue:
    I would prefer to use the upgrade on my desktop and not on the new laptop for which the offer is for by Toshiba. I checked my desktop system and the result was that it is ready for Vista Home Premium. The Toshiba laptop is ready for the same product. Is the upgrade CD the same for either of my computers, or is it different? Will my HP accept the Toshiba promotion CD Vista upgrade or do I need another version assuming that there might be different versions of Vista Home Premium, or am I wrong in that assumption.
    Thanks for any help.

2. oliver.d

oliver.d

It surely will mate. You have to remember, with versions of operating systems companies like HP and Toshiba send out, when you first install, it is going to take log of all the hardware that is on your system, you can't change a substantial amount of that hardware otherwise it is going to flag you up as a new PC. Same applies if you change the PC the OS is on.

With regards your home premium upgrade CD, it will be the same for both HP and Toshiba, presumably. It is usual for manufacturers to send out a driver CD. So provided HP have the vista drivers - which they do - I have a HP laptop - then it should run great =]

You can visit the vista driver and download page, and whip them all onto a CD incase the networking devices etc aren't working on your HP laptop when you first boot into vista.

Have fun!

3. rs001

rs001 Thread Starter

Thanks for the information oliver. I kinda thought so, but a rep from microsoft said no which made no sense. Then I thought of upgrade vs. full versions, etc. and doubts were running wild. My desktop is used more often than the new laptop, so I thought I would take advantage of the Toshiba offer (free + 9.95 S&H) and apply it to the HP instead. All pre-tests on my HP indicate all is well for the upgrade for the same XP MC version on both.

Have fun? I hope so...I'll be hoping for a clean and error free install!! Thanks again...mate!

4. Compiler

Compiler

You have to leave XP on the PC for the upgrade to work.

OEM Windows by major companies tend to be "tagged" - so unless Toshiba uses a generic vista upgrade DVD, it is VERY easy for them to make the install look for a TOSHIBA BIOS and then reject the install. You'd be out $10 thou... worth a shot perhaps?

5. jmwills

jmwills

Other than breaking the law, it might work Tagged means the OEM disc might be tied to the OEM MOBO in the system.

6. Compiler

Compiler

Another reason to look at Linux.... http://makethemove.net/

you can Download a LIVE-DVD, which the PC will boot off and let you play with Linux without actually installing it to any HD.

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

So . . I have to sell my house and move to go to Linux? . . didn't see that coming . .

8. oliver.d

oliver.d

That's brilliant!

9. Compiler

Compiler

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice