1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by s.kageyoshi, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. s.kageyoshi

s.kageyoshi Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading to windows vista and was a little confused about all these versions :rolleyes:

Anyway, I want to get home premium, but there is MS Vista Home Premium Upgrade Academic $176 AUS, MS Vista Home Premium $455 AUS, MS Vista Home Premium Upgrade $299 AUS.

What's the difference between all these? I mean all the features are the same in premium, right?

Thanks in advance,
    s.kageyoshi

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

3. techy689

techy689

Yes, all the features are the same, but there is a difference:

With Vista Home Premium Upgrade, the only way to install it is if you currently have Windows XP on your computer.

With Vista Home Premium Upgrade Academic, I assume the only difference with this is that you are getting a student discount.

With Vista Home Premium Full - You can install Windows Vista on your computer as is. Meaning you don't have to have XP already installed on your computer.

4. s.kageyoshi

What a pain! Install XP first then Vista :(

5. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo

First Name:
    Joe
    Brian Livingston has a method where you can do a clean install with a Vista Upgrade DVD, no prior XP or W2K installation or even a CD required.
    Scroll down to the article, "Get Vista upgrade, never pay full price" on this link:
    http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070201

6. s.kageyoshi

But is this legal? xD

7. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo

First Name:
    Joe
    Brian Livingston thinks it's legal and probably wouldn't post it unless it was. You have nothing to lose by trying it. You paid for the program and should be able to install it in the best possible way which is a clean install.

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

It would seem so much simpler to just buy an OEM version . . cost is about the same as the Upgrade version and you don't have to jump thru hoops to install it. . . 'course, you don't get that vaunted "Microsoft Support" ( an oxymoron if there ever was one )

9. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo

First Name:
    Joe
    Doesn't OEM versions cause issues if you should install new hardware?

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

No more than any other version . . .

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I have heard that with OEM, the 'install' is with one machine one install only, whereas with a retail version, you can use it to install many times over. (not on different machines, but like if your hardware changed and you are reinstalling, if that make sense.)

And to clarify the academic versions, any software that has academic means that you get that at a discount price, but proof that you are a student or work in an academic establishment is required, at least the store you get it should ask you for it.

Need to go home soon... I get Vista Business Edition for free :) (student and member of MSDNAA)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice