Vista video card conflicts

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Karlzick

Recently purchased a hi-end ATI PCI-E video card to go in my new Lenovo desktop. The computer came with on-board video and Vista Home Premium.

Upon installing the card and included drivers, I get this error message saying that "Windows had disabled the drivers for video .. etc. to avoid conflicts in your system". In other words `you are stuck with your integrated video so live with it'. Love and kisses, Microsoft! Doing a search on the problem I see that lots of people have the same hangup and I can see no evidence of Microsoft trying to fix it. To me this is a significant issue because lots of people like to upgrade their on-board video for lots of reasons. Has anyone got an input?

Try going into Bios and see if there is a setting to turn your onboard Videocard off

Karlzick

Good idea - but that is the first thing I tried. Unfortunately, my motherboard BIOS does not give me that option. Thanks anyway ~

Go into Device Manager and open up the display adapters and uninstall it if it is the onboard one......then do not restart ..then install your Video drivers and restart the PC

Karlzick

Hi Megabyte,

I already tried that once and when I rebooted Vista reinstalled the on-board driver and disabled the new one.

Thanks for trying. I think what I need is some kind of a Vista patch, but my situation may be unique since I cannot disable the integrated chip in my BIOS.

Are you sure it was the installed card that was disabled? The message should be the other way around -- the installed card will generally automatically disable the onboard one.

If it is done at the BIOS level, and that is where it should be done manually, then only 1 card will show in the Device Manager.

If two cards show and one is disabled -- the one that is disabled will have a Red X. That should be the onboard one.

I'm surprised you can't find the BIOS option, what is the Lenovo model ? Or better yet, the motherboard model -- get the manual!

You can also try uninstalling the onboard drivers before installing the new ones.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online