1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista video memory hog? shared video memory issue. only 767 MB RAM (1 gig istalled)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tjamnz, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tjamnz

tjamnz Thread Starter

somehow my vista home premium box system properties dialogue box reported a gig of ram.. now it reports 767 MB of ram.

with 767, my pc has slowed down quite a bit since my video card hijacked my memory without my permission.

checked bios chipset, and video configurations.. there's nowhere to adjust shared video memory there. checked harware manager properties for all video devices.. not there either...

when this happened my windows vista rating dropped from a 4.0 to a 3.0 too.

stumped.

pc: acer t180

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you sure it use to report the full 1GB of memory? If the system has integrated video then allocates 256MB to the graphics. The new AMD Acer's I've seen don't seem to have a setting to adjust the shared video memory size, most are stuck on 256MB so they are Vista Aero compliant.

3. tjamnz

tjamnz Thread Starter

good call.. your probably right

but im pretty sure my rating was a 4.0 and only 128 was shared initially... either way...

I have alot of questions about upgrading video cards...

do you mind if i post em here??

thanks

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Go right ahead.

5. tjamnz

tjamnz Thread Starter

Cool thanks...

Im wondering if i get a 512 MB video card how much that will really increase my gaming performance.

1) Is there any special configuration for a high performance card as far as the OS goes?

2)Can i avoid sharing video memory with another card If i want too?

3) If i install two video cards (crossfire style), what happens to my onboard video card? do I have to disable it? (or can i use all 3 in some way.

4) Are most cross-fire configurations as simple as plug and play for the most part?

5) Can i run two monitors (possibly three), one from integrated video, another for the new card, and/or 3 monitors with crossfire config with additional card?

6) Oh... and one last question.. when running crossfire.. do both have to pci cards (same type of slots)? or can one be pci-express/pci regular, or pci/agp, or pc-express/agp...

All the questions i wish i knew the answer too.

- For now I would like to start out with a pci express 512MB version (just one) , but still considering all options

thanks.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Im wondering if i get a 512 MB video card how much that will really increase my gaming performance.

Yes, very much so. The integrated Geforce 6100/6250/6200 are terrible for gaming. Just make sure you get somethinhg good. It doesn't have to be a 512MB card. A Geforce 7600 is a good choice. Of if you have the cash or want to wait then look at something in the Geforce 8xxx series. The Geforce 8xxx's support DirectX 10 - which is huge steff up in gaming - once the games shop up, but they perform really well in Directx 9 games too. Budget is key here.

1) Is there any special configuration for a high performance card as far as the OS goes?

Nope, just install the drivers.

2)Can i avoid sharing video memory with another card If i want too?

Yes, disable the onboard video in the BIOS, it may may even happen automatically. May want to call Acer to confirm this is possible, the BIOS is pretty basic on most Aspire models.

3) If i install two video cards (crossfire style), what happens to my onboard video card? do I have to disable it? (or can i use all 3 in some way.

You can't use crossfire, you'd need an ATI or Intel chipset board to do that. And you can't use SLI(NVidia's version of CrossFire) since the system only has one PCI-Express X16 slot and the onboard video doesn't qualify. You should disable the onboard video unless you want to run three or four monitors.

4) Are most cross-fire configurations as simple as plug and play for the most part?

No, there's a cable to connect or the driver must be configured for Crossfire, or SLI. Which you can't do.

5) Can i run two monitors (possibly three), one from integrated video, another for the new card, and/or 3 monitors with crossfire config with additional card?

You could probably run more then two monitors. Most video cards support two, so the third one would need to be run off the onboard video. If the onbaord video can be used with a seperate card.

6) Oh... and one last question.. when running crossfire.. do both have to pci cards (same type of slots)? or can one be pci-express/pci regular, or pci/agp, or pc-express/agp...

All cards need to be PCI-Express X16. They also need to be of the same family but they don't need to be the exact match - but the closer the better. ie any two Geforce 7600 for SLI or any two X800's for CrossFire(or a Master card that covers the same family).

Being a name brand system its harder to build it into a nice gaming system, ie. less detailed information available on how the onboard video behaves when you add another card, less BIOS configuration options, no support for SLI or Crossfire, and usually a power supply that wouldn't be able to handle two video cards.

7. tjamnz

tjamnz Thread Starter

cool...

i currently have a 300 or 350 w power supply. Ive noticed that some of the better cards require at least a 4 to 5 hundred watt ps. (i'll upgrade)

either way... Ill look into a Geforce 8xxx's series due to the dx10 support feature.

i finally grasp sli now too.

thanks!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/568353

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice