1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Virus; Help me save my harddrive

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Ecto, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ecto

Ecto Thread Starter

Not sure if this is in the right spot, please move it or let me know if its not.

I've had my home built vista machine running for a little under two years. In all these years , i've only had one virus, which i was able to get rid of via system restore. The difference between that and the problem I have now is that I can't access anything but the Setup settings and bios.

I was using my computer for music, surfing and word processing. I downloaded a program that I had before, but couldn't find, called pokesav. It lets me edit game files for a pokemon game I play on the DS. As soon as I finished downloading it, I opened it up and it looked to be the same program I previously had and used. I then attempted to drag the application from my 'downloads' folder onto my desktop for easy access and my computer froze. My music playing via winamp kept going but I couldn't move my mouse or use any keyboard shortcut. First thoughts going through my head? Oh ****. I immediately manually power down my system (like that would help >.<).

When I start the computer it goes to the generic black screen giving the options of starting in safe mode with command prompt, safe mode, safe mode with networking connections, start from last known working configuration and start normally. When I attempt to start normally or from last known configuration, or safemode (all of the options) it goes to a blue screen for 1-3 seconds then restarts itself. My next course of action is to try to boot from the vista CD. I change the settings in bios and give it a try. I press 'any button' to boot from CD, and it goes to the blue/yellow hued vista background, gives me a fuzzy, bad resolution white arrow mouse and hangs. Nothing loads. I then try a ubuntu disc that lets you boot from it, without changing your system ect, then giving you the option of configuring as ubuntu. It loads, makes it's 'your desktop just loaded, hello' noise then hangs on an empty background; once against giving me a movable, useless mouse.

All of this happened over the course of about 20 minutes, while I was watching one of my favorite TV shows, so I didn't give the vista CD or ubuntu more than 2-5 minutes to load, but i did try each once or twice.
    A virus. Thats all I can think of; especially with April 1st coming around and the semi-shady site I downloaded the program from, Im guessing something dug into my harddrive and won't be removed without your guys' help.

I have at my disposal; 1 mac laptop, 1 ubuntu laptop, 1 old xp PC (all 3 have internet connections), 1 250gb empty external harddrive, usb flash drives, Vista premium install DVD (with product key) and a backup of the files from 1.5 years ago from my vista machine.

I know that was long winded, but I wanted to give you the full story so you could best help me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and Im not optimistic at this point; I just want to save the drive. If I could save all the photos and files; fantastic, but even if I could just clean install and restart, I'd be content.

Thank you guys so much. I've gotten great help from you guys in the past; don't' let me down!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/812937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice