1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista vs XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MICHAELM6, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MICHAELM6

MICHAELM6 Thread Starter

My computer is still working but it's getting up in years. I'm anticipating that I will eventually have to switch to Vista from XP.

Is it possible to migrate existing programs from a working computer without having to do a whole reinstall or should I just start fresh? I've been doing regular backups of my C drive to a removable disk.

Where are the product activation keys stored in Win XP and how do I get there?

What's the initial verdict on Vista? Should I avoid it?

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

First, any later Microsoft OS onto any system will slow that machine.
    • loading Windows 95 onto a system designed for and running Windows 3.1 slowed that system.
    • loading Windows 98 onto a system designed for and running Windows 95 slowed that system.
    • loading Windows 2000 onto a system designed for and running Windows 98 slowed that system.
    • loading Windows XP onto a system designed for and running Windows 2000 slowed that system.
    • Vista will follow the pattern.
    PCMag ran an article recently entitled "15 reasons to buy Vista" and a month later ran another entitled "15 Reasons not to Buy Vista". The upshot was that if you already had XP and in the absence of a compelling need only Vista will meet, there is no reason to "upgrade" (if you want to call it that).

My grandfather had a saying my mother passed on to me. "It's not a bargain at any price if you don't need it.". I'll take it a little further with Vista. It's not a bargain even if it's free because you'll pay for it in system performance.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Support for Windows XP will be available for many years. There's certainly no rush to buy a new computer or upgrade your existing one to Vista. If you perform an upgrade of an operating system on a computer, all of the applications remain intact.

If you get a new computer, no, there is no way to "migrate" programs to that computer. Activation keys are not stored in the registry or in any file that you can open and copy. You may be able to find them by opening the application and clicking Help -> About. You'll still need the original installation disks or executables to install the application.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

"I'm anticipating that I will eventually have to switch to Vista from XP". No reason I know of to eventually switch to Vista. By the time support for XP is stopped, likely you will need a new computer, not a new operating system.

5. sjupr

sjupr Banned

Good point Bob. Vista will look "prettier" but you can always download Window Blinds, DesktopX and other apps to accomplish the same thing for significantly less money. The other thing is that to allow Vista to function with all the appearance bells and whistles you need some serious hardware. CPU, Ram, etc. to allow that Vista functionality. I see no real reason to "upgrade" to Vista in terms of functionality. I have advised all of my customers to hold off on upgarding an existing system to Vista and to your point, you can always get Vista preinstalled on a new system that meets hardware requirements.

6. MICHAELM6

MICHAELM6 Thread Starter

Good points. Thanks to everyone.

The truth is, I don't want to change over but I may not have a choice. I've done some preliminary shopping around and it doesn't look good. Just try to find a new machine that isn't pre-loaded with Vista. It's as if XP never happened.

My present machine is old(ish) and probably has a couple of good years left and I don't want to wait until disaster strikes to have a back up plan. Clearly, I'll have to track down the install programs/disks.

As for the keys, I seem to remember something being stored in HKEYS_LOCAL_MACHINE but I can't recall how I got there.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You're not going to find a new computer shipping with XP. New computers ship with new operating systems. If you want to run XP on a new system you need to verify that XP drivers are available.

Product activation keys are not stored in plain text in the registry.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Actually I use several local computer companies that will load XP. That's one advantage over getting something from a Dell or HP.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice