1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista: Which version stinks less?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ktcat, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ktcat

ktcat Thread Starter

Okay. I want your opinions. I'm only going to use Vista for making screenshots and doing documentation. I wish I could avoid buying it, but I need it for an ongoing documentation project.

What version of Vista stinks the least?

I've ruled out Home Basic as too basic, and Ultimate as too expensive.

I'm trying to decide between Home Premium and Business.

Opinions?

Thanks!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

They are all the same, solid operating system, so just choose the one that has the features you want.

3. HCD

HCD

Premium is fine - costs less than Business. Given all you want to do is do screenshots and documentation, no need to buy a Porsche to drive to local shops!

4. ktcat

ktcat Thread Starter

I've heard a rumor that the Home versions tend to prompt you more often to confirm your actions than the biz versions. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

5. ktcat

ktcat Thread Starter

I should add, I am aware you can turn off these annoynig pop-ups in the control panel... I'm just trying to see if there are any other differences such as this between home and biz versions.... Thanks!

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

7. ktcat

ktcat Thread Starter

Both.

8. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Then cost & what you need screenshots of should determine which version you buy. If all you need are screenshots then it doesn't matter which performs better, which nags you more, etc., etc., etc. All that matters is which will show you the screens that you need to shoot.

If, for example, you need screenshots of both making DVD's & of scanning/faxing documents then you'll need both versions-or Ultimate. So my advice is figure out what features you want screenshots of, then get the cheapest version that includes those features. You can use DoubleHelix' link to find out which versions have which features.

9. Antiapplekid

Antiapplekid

If you want the Windows Media Center go with Home Priemuim if you don't care about that go with Business also the annoying UAC (User Access Control) Other words the stupid pop ups can be shut off in all Versions of Vista Control Panel>User Accounts>Turn User Account Control Off

10. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Business is designed to connect to an Active Directory domain. Home Premium can't. Business doesn't have many of the features you would use with a Home desktop (most notably, the games and Media Center).

Both handle UAC exactly the same.

I have seen only one crash on Vista (it was Vista Enterprise at work). I have Vista Ultimate (2 desktops) and Vista Home Premium (laptop). None have ever crashed.

Courtney

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/730884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice