1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Will not let me change a folder from read only

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by swmackin, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swmackin

swmackin Thread Starter

So I am logged in as administrator. I need to delete a file that is in the "Downloaded Program Files" directory of the "Windows" directory. I right click on the file and only get "properties" as an option. Nothing I do will let me delete it. Even tried deleting the entire directory the file is in and Vista will not let me. This file is damaged and causing problems in IE. I need it deleted.

Also, never had this problem before. I paid a lot of money for this computer and OS. Not sure why it will not let me delete a file I do not want. Would I be better off with Linex?

2. Keywal

Keywal

try booting into safe mode and deleting it then.

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I think this "Downloaded Program Files" folder is a System folder put there by Windows and can not be removed.
    It is there for the programs that are written to use it. Mine currently has several Java updates, a Genuine Advantage tools.

I would NOT worry about it and leave it alone.

Note: it is also there on Windows 7

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

First check to see if the program is listed in Control Panel | Programs | Uninstall a program (Control Panel | Programs and Features)

If not, then check in Internet Options:
    In IE, Tools | Internet Options, or Control Panel | (Network and Internet) | Internet Options
    Click the Programs tab
    Click the Manage add-ons button.
    Select the Active-X object and click the Delete button.

The Read-Only attribute on a folder has nothing to do with files being read only. It a flag to Windows that it should check for a desktop.ini file to see if the folder has been customized, and should not be changed.

5. Pookie

Pookie

go oldschool command line and set the attrib so you can delete it.

attrib -r path/filename

will remove the read only bit

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/864873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice