Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vista Will not Recognize Wireless

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jmwills 
#1 ·
My windows vista has started acting up. We installed Norton Antivirus and the computer has not been able to recognize the wireless router. I tried to restart the computer and I get a black screen that talks about some sort of runtime error and I click F1 to continue. I log in and often have to wait for the monitor to show the desktop. I know that it is not an issue with the wireless modem because our laptops and gaming systems all recognize the wireless.

Thanks for any suggestions.

#2 ·
Hi:If your Norton package has a firewall running,disable it.
Also,exact error msg ?
In addition let me see an ipconfig /all
From a Johnwill post on the Networking Forum

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address> For addresses,follow instructions below….

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING www.yahoo.com
Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above. IPV4 for Vista

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.
______

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.