1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Will NOT Update

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by shahnyl, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shahnyl

shahnyl Thread Starter

Whenever I try to install any updates, Vista locates them, but will not download, or install them.

I get Error Code 80070570

PLEASE HELP!!!

2. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

I dont understand why you are getting that error code. It relates to DVD burning speed and has nothing to do with updates.

3. Dad-MSFT

Dad-MSFT

The Knowledge Base is your friend.

KB910359.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910359
    My guess is your Catroot2 folder is corrupt.

Follow the instrucitons in the KB. If they don't help, you can post your Windowsupdate.log I reckon.

4. shahnyl

shahnyl Thread Starter

hey guys, thanks for your attempts.

Dad-MSFT, i tried to follow the instructions at KB and came into a few humps.

Firstly, I downloaded guided help, but when I tried to run it, nothing happened.

Then I figured that I might as well try to do it manually. I had an error at the first step, when I typed net stop wuaserv i got an error saying: System error 1060 has occurred. The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

Same result with the rest of the things that it wanted me to type.

My guess is that the fix does not work because i am not running XP, I am on Vista.

I dont know guys, any additional help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

5. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
  6. shahnyl

shahnyl Thread Starter

Thanks for the response cuttlefish, but those werent really helpful....anyone else have any other ideas, I tried to install software for my blackberry today but to no avail, the installer failed at the last instant with an error related to 80070570

7. robinredbreast

robinredbreast

I have found the same problem as a lot of other readers in that Windows update in Vista just does not work any more. It seemed to start after a Windows Defender Update. I'm not sure but I think Microsoft have unwittingly produced an 'autoimmune' response with their own updates. I found that by using Internet Tools in internet explorer, and citing the update path as a trusted site, windows update worked again! Well it worked for me anyway.

So step wise

1. Open Internet Explorer
    2. Click on Tools
    3. Click on Security
    4. Click on 'Trusted sites'
    5. Disble the tick box 'Enable Protected Mode'
    6. Click on 'Sites'
    7. In 'Add this website to the zone type: https//*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    8. Click 'Add'
    9. Ensure 'Require server verification' is not checked
    10. Close

I then rebooted but this may not be necessary. I found that after that all seemed to work again ok.

Please let me know if t works for you

Robin
    :)

8. Dad-MSFT

Dad-MSFT

Um...You misspelled wuauserv.

The service is 'Automatic Updates' in the services applet.

9. robinredbreast

robinredbreast

Sorry, I don't understand, there is no reference to 'wuauserv' in my post.

Robin:confused:

10. Dad-MSFT

Dad-MSFT

I was replying to the thread starter, shahnyl. Sorry for the confusion.

11. robinredbreast

robinredbreast

No problem. I have found however that my ?solution? does not address the update of Office. Still the important bit works.

12. shahnyl

shahnyl Thread Starter

Yeah, robinredbreast, your solution doesnt affect my issue.

Dad-MSFT, sorry for the spelling error, I typed it into the the Command Prompt right however, and I still got the "System Error 5 has Occured, Access is denied"

13. shahnyl

shahnyl Thread Starter

Another Update, I tried doing all this in safe mode and got pretty far until i got to the renaming of the Catroot2 folder, when I tried to do that I got an error that gave me a code of 8007005

I am so lost, I think I might throw in the towel and get another copy of Vista

14. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
    I hate to rain on anybody's parade, but I fought this wretched error for days, finally got nowhere until I took the fateful step of reinstalling Vista Home Premium again........ :eek: :eek:

The problem was immediately fixed though the reinstallation presented some interesting problems along the way such as a loss of all audio drivers !!! :eek: :( (n)

Major step to have to take to resolve the issue but I really couldn't find a workable fix around this one! :confused: :(

Robynredbnreasts idea seemed pretty good but also been there dun that and didn't work for me!!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice