1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Windows 7 Networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Regor810, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Regor810

Regor810 Thread Starter

Real problems with this. Each computer sees the other, but however I set permissions for sharing on the Vista machine, the Win7 machine claims it has no permissions. I cannot allocate sharing to another computer on the network - none appear in "locations". I am really lost with this - even basic guidance would assist

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Vista does not file share unless each system has at least one password protected user account.

Non-Windows firewalls have to be configured for the desired access or uninstalled. Sometimes "turn off" or "disable" will suffice.

Set Up Your Home Network, Windows 7 Edition is a pretty complete story.

3. Regor810

Regor810 Thread Starter

Thanks for that, tried your suggestions but still no success. I can access a networked printer, and what is most irritating, I can access Macs on the network, just not Vista!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For the Vista and one other Windows system ...

Here are some steps that may narrow down the problem.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) – OK
    (if Run not on Vista’s or 7’s Start menu, just type cmd in the Search box)

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
    ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
    ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets?

If you got Replies to either or both,

3. Then
    Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK

With luck after about a minute you should get an explorer window showing the other PC's shares. If not, what is the error message?

5. Regor810

Regor810 Thread Starter

This just gets stranger. Vista (\\rabstudy) cannot ping Win7 (ral-pc) at all - "could not find host". Win7 can ping Vista successfully with no packet loss. Running \\ral-pc from Vista will bring up the Network window showing correctly the Win7 shares, whilst running \\rabstudy on Win7 produces the usual "cannot access \\rabstudy. You do not have permission..." etc

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Failure to ping the Windows 7 system usually means a firewall on that system.

The "cannot access" on the Vista could be a firewall, incorrect permissions, or no user account has a password.

7. Regor810

Regor810 Thread Starter

Perhaps I can recap here, as I am still making no progress. I am having difficulty connection to a Vista Home Premium 32 bit computer from my Win7 Home Premium 64bit desktop via my home network. Network is through a Netcomm NB6Plus4 Router. (1) I can connect without difficulty to (a) Macs running OSX and (b) another Win7 laptop (32 bit). (2) I can see the Vista name in the network and digging into Accessories shows there is a connection established between the 2 machines and that appropriate file shares exist on the Vista machine. But every attempt to access the Vista machine produces “Windows cannot access \\Vista. You do not have permission to access \\Vista.” (3) If I set up a UVNC connection between the machines it works fine. (4) I can set up a LogMeIn Hamachi VPN, and that works too. (5) I can ping the Vista machine successfully by either IP address or name. (6) I have set up file permissions on shares on Vista that are open to everyone both as sharing permissions and as security permissions, but no luck. (It does not seem possible to set up permission to access a whole machine as distinct from a driver or folder on that machine). Simple direct network access to files on the Vista machine is totally blocked. I have tried shutting down ALL firewalls but no luck

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice