1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista - Windows failed to start message

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lisawendy, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lisawendy

lisawendy Thread Starter

Last night our comp was turned on and came up with black screen and message that reads-
    windows failed to start due to hardware or software change
    insert installation disc and click repair
    The system registry file is missing or corrupt

If I put the disc in and click repair does this mean I will lose all the files I had. ie- photos, documents, music etc. I have not been able to do a backup since I first got the comp' so that is not an option.:eek:

2. Megabite

Megabite

3. lisawendy

lisawendy Thread Starter

Thanks heaps. At least I have somewhere to start.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Lets us know the out come

5. lisawendy

lisawendy Thread Starter

Thanks So Much For Your Help. My comp is back up and running after your advice. I needed to change the Bootorder in Bios/Setup first as DVD/CDR was not the 1st priority. After that it took at last half an hour of chanting please work, please work, please work and the disc running through its repair and it worked. I am now diligently sorting, deleting and saving files to my passport so I can clean hardrive up and start again. Thanks Again. Definately making sure I backup from now on.

6. Megabite

Megabite

Good to hear your working again....my quess it was the chanting help.....:)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice