1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved VISTA/Windows Replacement Refurbished PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alos, Mar 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alos

Alos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Allen
    I, too, received notice from Mozilla Firefox and am now limping along on old unsupported version of Internet Explorer, trying to find some technical advice about a refurbished desktop computer I'm considering buying to replace this poor old laptop with Windows Vista. Am new to site and still trying to find my way around. Can anyone tell me anything about a Dell Optiplex 790 i5 Desktop? Refurbished with 4 GB Ram, 1 terabyte Hard Drive, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit OS?

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Alos, I have requested a MOD to open a new thread for you. Yes if youre just wanting a decent desktop for casual use that would be an excellent system. I love Dells because they are reliable BUT I myself like to have upgradability =and Dell doesnt really offer that very much like a custom built machine would. But If you can get that PC for a good price Id buy it.

3. lynx1021

lynx1021

Don't get the SFF version (Small form factor), get the tower MT more room for upgrades

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  5. OverTallman

OverTallman

First Name:
    Jacky
  6. OverTallman

OverTallman

First Name:
    Jacky
    Anyway, more onto the desktop:
    1. As mentioned by lynx:
      For upgrade potential: MT>DT>SFF>USFF.

2. Unlike the 780, 790 doesn't have proprietary wiring on the 24-pin ATX connector, so no need to reroute the wires when upgrading the PSU.

3. Despite the PCIe slot rated at 35W, there have been successful cases of installing GTX 750 Ti (a 60W card without external power connector, meaning all the power needed is from the slot). Some HP business desktops have even lower rating (25W) but yeah the same story.

4. The CPU can be upgraded to i7-2700K, but since you can't OC on that Dell there's no sense on such upgrade. No Ivy Bridge. No sure if SB Xeon E3 works.

5. Officially the maximum amount of RAM is 16GB (8GB for USFF), 4GB on each stick. Nevertheless, many people have successfully used 8GB sticks to bring it at 32GB max (16GB for USFF). Do remember it's not officially supported and the sticks that work are kinda hit or miss.

7. Alos

Alos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Allen
    Thank you..

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1186869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice