1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista + Wireless = GRRR!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Caeles, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Caeles

Caeles Thread Starter

Alright, first up, the skinny.

I'm using Vista Premium 32bit with a WMP54G v4.1 Linksys Adapter. It's connected to a Linksys router, of which i can't say which version it is however.

I've got an XP Home Premium edition PC sitting right next to it using the same wireless adapter on the same network.

As of saturday night, no change of my own settings i've been getting a few issues regarding the Vista PC.

Basically, the problem is random lag, of which i've found is most likely being caused by my vista computer. I'll ping my router and get various intermittent time outs. I can ping the same router from my XP box and get no time outs, making me think that there's something wrong with the vista computer.

When i go to diagnose a problem, i get the "Cannot communicate with DNS server, and then my dns server's primary IP address.

I've tried connecting to a different dns (openDNS) and the error message goes away, but i still get the time outs when i ping the router.

when i connect the vista PC directly to the router via a cable, the connection runs fine with no ping timeouts.

I've tried re-installing the drivers, re-installing the device, upgrading the drivers, and even downgrading the drivers for the adapter all to no avail. I'm at a complete loss.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Compaq__

Compaq__

Have you treid this?

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

3. Caeles

Caeles Thread Starter

tried both, no luck.

From what i've gathered through my own detectiving is that i'm just receiving around 10-30% packet loss between my vista PC and my router.

The same tests run on my XP pc gives me 2% packet loss.

I also tried running in safemode and doing the same test. I got the same results, so it doesn't seem to be caused by any of my running programs.

it's weird, and i'm almost at the point where i'll just sit down and throw down a 40 foot ethernet cable to the router to solve the problem :(

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, you want to run the Vista repair, not the XP repair.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows Vista.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

5. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

It may be that the network card in the Vista machine is malfunctioning hardware-wise.

6. Caeles

Caeles Thread Starter

yeah, that was going to be my next though, would be to switch the two cards on the machines and see how that works out.

i've tried the 3 commands and am going to do some testing now to see how it works out, i'll post back later.

on a side note, all 3 commands have been attempted, although i did receive a "reseting echo request, failed. access is denied for the ipv4 command. It seemed odd so I then restarted in safe mode, and tried the commands again, and got the same failed message when reseting both the ipv4 and the ipv6.

i was running in administrator, so i don't know if that should have any odd effect either.

7. Caeles

Caeles Thread Starter

the problem seems to have been fixed after an hour or so of testing i've had no significant loss.

If anyone could point out as to how this might occur so i can avoid it in the future, that'd be most helpful

8. Caeles

Caeles Thread Starter

spoke too soon, i'm still getting some loss spikes here or there, i went almost 2 hours without any, and now they're running rampant. I have no idea what's happening, might be time to switch the hardware around.

9. Compaq__

Compaq__

Thanks John...My mind was saying Vista but my fingers cut and paste XP. :eek:

10. JohnWill

My mind plays tricks like that all the time. :D

11. JohnWill

When you have the large lag spikes, try doing this.

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. Post the results link from the top of the test display page here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
    and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice