1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Won't Boot

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Gvv20011, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gvv20011

Gvv20011 Thread Starter

Hi i have an unbootable vista laptop (acer brand)(vista came pre-loaded) and i do not know what to do to fix it. okay, here's how it happened, i was downloading files off the internet and then my windows explorer stopped working. After waiting for about 5 minutes, nothing happened, then i clicked on my task bar and i got a message saying "Your firewall has blocked certain programs from working" and the program was windows explorer. When i turn on my laptop, i get the acer logo screen with the "press F2 for settings" and "press F12 to change boot order" then i get a black screen with a blinking underscore in the top left corner. My OS is 32bit Vista Home Premium with 149GB HD 3GB RAM AMD Athalon Processor. The Laptop Model is an Acer Aspire 5517. Please Help Me :confused:

2. babyangel6806

babyangel6806

I am in the exact same boat with my Toshiba A205. Can't seem to get many suggestions. I've been trying to fix this since last night and can't get it to boot in ANY mode. I was also running Internet Explorer 8 at which time it stopped responding and I tried restarting my computer and have been having this problem since.

3. Gvv20011

Gvv20011 Thread Starter

I feel ya, the last screen i get to is the black screen with the blinking underscore, i dont even get boot options.

4. gfne

gfne

Right after the logo disappears start taping f8 and go to safe mode. Then open my computer then right click your drive and find the disk check option and initiate a thorough one.

5. Gvv20011

Gvv20011 Thread Starter

Pressing F8 doesn't work..

6. gfne

gfne

I've seen keyboards with function lock buttons not allowing you to to use those keys. Do you have one?

7. Gvv20011

Gvv20011 Thread Starter

No my keyboard works fine and i can use all my keys

8. Gvv20011

Gvv20011 Thread Starter

and no i dont have one of those keys

9. gfne

gfne

Maybe you have to do an associated f8. Like ctrl or fctn f8

10. Gvv20011

Gvv20011 Thread Starter

Ctrl F8 and Fn F8 did not work..

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice