1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista won't connect to VPN

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by AthenianJoke, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AthenianJoke

AthenianJoke Thread Starter

So I set up a VPN on a SBS 2003 R2 and it works. I have tried it on all the XP machines we have and the XP machines connect and can view the shared folders. The Vista Machines (both Home Premium and Business) can connect but cannot open the folders. We go and ping the server after connecting to the VPN (192.168.x.x) and get response. The server sees the computers. However, we cannot open the shared folders. I know it's not the server cause I've connected with the same usernames and passwords from XP machines and got it just fine. I read elsewhere that this is a common problem with Vista. Any ideas?

2. AthenianJoke

anyone...?

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Sounds more like a simple browsing problem. What happens if you just manually try and make the network connections. This could be done from either the Windows Explorer or a CMD prompt using the NET USE command.

4. AthenianJoke

We've tried doing command prompt, windows explorer, run, and of course mapping

Nothing works.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

As always, getting all the information from the beginning helps you get an answer faster.

So can you detail what was tried, how the VPN server and VPN client is configured, what error messages you get (in particular with the NET USE command).

6. AthenianJoke

We didn't use the NET USE Command. It's the simple RAS setup in SBS 2003 R2. All XP systems connect without a hitch. Vista conncets, but when we try to browse for shared folders, we can't see them. So we try to open them with cmd or run. Then it tells us that the folder doesn't exist or that it can't connect.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So can you detail what was tried?

For example, from CMD, what did you type in?
    How was mapping done?

Can you ping by IP and Name the computer you want to connect to?

8. AthenianJoke

From the cmd, we can ping the server, no problem. In CMD, we tried to navigate to \\servername\sharefolder and \\serverip\sharefolder. That's what we did in RUN today. IT would say that it didn't exist.

On a server side, once the VISTA machines connect, I can see them logged in as remote users. So i know for a fact they are connected.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Can you ping the server by name, IP or both.

From a cmd prompt, what happens when you run something like:

net use X: \\server\share (where server and share are replaced by the actual names)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice