1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista won't do anything...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by saraheb, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. saraheb

saraheb Thread Starter

I had a really nasty virus a couple of weeks ago. Dell got into my computer and reinstalled Vista for me. They apparently didn't install my graphics card properly, and I kept getting the "incompatible display driver has been disabled" message every time I turned it on. I went into the drivers folder and right clicked to see why my card wasn't working right. Under properties or whatever I tried to have windows search online for a solution, and nothing came up. (I watched the Dell guy the whole time he was in my system, he installed my graphics card and it worked for a couple of days without the error message.) I don't know very much about computers, so I didn't go in and mess around.

Well, last night, I turned my computer on, and it only goes to the black loading screen. It doesn't even make it to the blue screen where you select the user. After about a thousand attempts of restarting manually, I kept getting all different things pop up. I tried safe mode, it freezes after the files are loaded. Trying to start it normally just gives me the blank screen. I am about to give up and just reinstall it myself, but even doing that doesn't work. I followed the instructions on Microsoft's website, and the installer won't come up. I absolutely refuse to pay Dell another $129 to fix something they said they did already.

I just ordered Windows 7, so all I need to do is get in and back up my files somehow!! When I upgrade, will everything just be there? I'm not worried about programs, I just need my music, pictures, and documents. I was running defender and security essentials, so could a backup possibly have been made automatically, and saved on there someplace?

I have an Inspiron 531s with a Nvidia GeForce 6250 card. Everything worked fine together before the Dell guy tried to reinstall it! Sorry I'm so computer illiterate.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

My main concern at the moment is that you check carefully all the small print on an Upgrade version of Windows 7 because it may exclude your OEM version of Vista - OEM because it came from Dell. For the time being, concentrate on the problem so go back into the graphics properties in Device Manager and right click the details tab. Take a note of the four characters are the DEV heading in case you need it later.

Somewhere on eth computer case is teh Dell Service tag number. Input that at Dell's website and you should be guided to the correct driver for the graphics adapter they actually fitted. It's pretty unlikely they installed the wrong driver on resintalling but install the one you find and see if that helps.

If it doesn't take those four DEV characters and input them into the Device box at http://www.pcidatabase.com then follow the links to the manufacturer's website - not to Dell, they didn't make it. You might get a better driver there.

3. saraheb

saraheb Thread Starter

Well, I finally got it up and running again. I went into setup and made it boot from the cd rom, which is why the windows disc wasn't working before. I did a system restore and everything is working again fine, except my graphics card. Now that I'm on my computer, I can give you some more information.
    I had my friend come look at it, and on the back where the monitor is plugged in, there is a splitter, an adapter, then my monitor wire. I have no idea why there would be a splitter, when all this was setup I only had one monitor, and I still only have one monitor. For some reason, the monitor is plugged into the #2 slot of my splitter, and I don't know why. I haven't touched anything back there. I bought an hdmi cable and was using my tv for the internet for a while. Then I got the virus, and stupid me had the tech reinstall using my tv screen as the monitor. Both still work fine, though.
    In device manager under display adapters, the first is NVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430. In device status it says:
    "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
    Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."
    Obviously clicking check for solutions does nothing.
    Then is says Standard VGA Graphics adapter. In device status, is says "This device is disabled. (Code 22)
    Click Enable Device to enable this device."
    I have tried to enable the device, but it still won't work. For some reason, the monitor is plugged into the #2 slot of my splitter, and I don't know why. I haven't touched anything back there.
    I'm pretty sure things aren't hooked up right or something, but money is tight and I can't really afford to take it somewhere. Any advice?

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

In Display, remove any second monitor by unticking "Extend my display etc." then back in Device Manager, uninstall all the graphics adapters, restart the system and let it find drivers for whatever is missing.

5. saraheb

saraheb Thread Starter

Thank you very much, that fixed everything!

6. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You're very welcome.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice