1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista wont let me boot it anymore!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dark_threat, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dark_threat

dark_threat Thread Starter

I had XP pro installed on my computer, and then I got vista but didn't want to wipe xp just yet in case i didn't like vista. So i installed vista on my second hard drive (i have two). Then I needed some more room and decided I was going to take windows out, but since it wasn't upgraded, there was no clear way to uninstall xp, so i booted vista in safe mode and told it to format C: with automatic options (which is the hard drive with XP on it), but it said that it was not allowed to wipe a system partition (for XP), so then i just typed format C: with no options and it said that the drive was in use, but I could dismiss it and all opened handles would become invalid. So i said yes, and it formatted it.

Beforehand, when I started my computer, it allowed me to choose to open vista or XP, but after the format it said that no operating system was found. So i had to reinstall windows on the formatted harddrive and I can access the second drive, and everything is there, however I cannot boot vista.

Is there something I can do to be able to boot vista?

I tried setting the boot options to the 1st hard drive and then the second, but vista still wont boot.

I appreciate any help

2. dark_threat

dark_threat Thread Starter

and now, the drive letter for the second hard drive (with vista) has changed from F to C

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Don't you just LOVE the way MS handle multiboot.

The boot code for any machine using Microsoft Boot manager will always live on the partition with the oldest version of Windows - and this is where it goes to find the other versions.
    In your case the boot code was on the XP partition, so when you formatted that you 'lost' the boot manager which told it where Vista was as well.
    When you reinstalled XP it only set up XP in the boot manager because the XP install doesn't know Vista exists.

You need to do the Vista equivalent of a recovery console to fix the Vista boot.
    Boot from the Vista DVD and follow the install through up to the point it asks about repair, then do a repair to the boot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/523730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice