Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vista won't open XP doc files

8K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  natcom 
#1 ·
Hi all
This is my first time on, so hello. The problem i have is i have just bought a new computer running vista home premium, but when i try and open a doc file from my old computer (XP) i get a message saying adobe reader could not open 'xxxxxx'.doc because it is either not a supported file type or because the file is damaged, then goes to a program called Beyond Adobe Reader. I also have the same problems with email files sent from a XP computer.
Any help much appreciated and keep it simple if possible

Cheers Gary

#2 ·
if it's a pdf, how are you trying to open it? Double clicking it in your email application or are you saving it to your hard drive then using File>Open from within Reader?

Be sure and answer the first question. Anything else depends on that answer

#3 ·
natcom said:
if it's a pdf, how are you trying to open it? Double clicking it in your email application or are you saving it to your hard drive then using File>Open from within Reader?

Be sure and answer the first question. Anything else depends on that answer
It was sent as a word document on XP and i double clicked on it (the file type is a doc_auto_file_68.0KB) which i then click open only to get the same message about adobe reader could not open etc...

#4 ·
it sound like doc files are not Associate with microsoft word instead they look like they are associated with adobe acrobat reader adobe can only open pdf files. to change this Go to Start >Default Programs then click on "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". Find the extension to your document (in your case it is .doc) and then choose the program you want to open the document in. clicked on Word (then Okay

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.