1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista won't update boot configuration

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rjkloo, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rjkloo

rjkloo Thread Starter

Just tried to install Vista Home Premium. Went well until a panel stopped the process and said: "Windows could not update computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed."
    Any suggestions what needs to be done to correct this condition?

rjkloo

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try removing partitions, repartitioning, and reformatting.

3. d.nabarun

d.nabarun

To resolve this issue, restore the default value for the UpperFilters registry entry, and then restart the computer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit , and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    3. In the results pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Modify.
    4. In the Value data box, type PartMgr , and then click OK.
    5. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
    6. Insert the Windows Vista DVD, and then upgrade the computer to Windows Vista.

(y)

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

...unless, of course, you are performing an upgrade.

5. rjkloo

rjkloo Thread Starter

d.nabarun

Your seggestion did the trick! Am I ever pleased. I thank you very much. I am awed that you knew the solution. I was on verge of dispair of finding a solution. I think you should be employed by Microsoft. You are to be commended.

rjklloo

6. Aymincendiary

Aymincendiary

Windows Could Not Update The Computer's Boot Configuration. Installation Cannot Proceed.

I'm getting this same message while doing a multi-boot operation with XP and Vista Business x64. The only way I have been successful in installing Vista is to install it on the system partition which XP resides on, which of course overites XP and leaves me with Vista only.

I tried the registry fix described in your post and it was unsuccessful. The install gets all the way to the end and kicks out the above error message.

Any way around this design limitation? Vista will not install in a multi-boot configuration. I contacted MS support on the issue to update their FAQ section to inform users of this before making a purchase.

If I would have known this unadvertised OS limitation I would have bought a copy of XP x64 instead. I may have to install thru Virtual PC untill all my apps are compatible with Vista x64 and XP can be relegated to one of my other systems.

I appreicate your forum and help though. You made the last person a very happy computer geek.

Chris

7. jbennet

jbennet

Maybe I can help?

I got a similar issue installing Windows Server 2003 on a brand new server. It would fail to install the bootloader.

Turned out that the BIOS had an option for "Virus Protection" which basically stopped programs from writing to the Master Boot Record (MBR).

Disable the "Virus Protection" option (if available) and try again

8. Aymincendiary

Aymincendiary

Thanks!

I got it going. I clicked on Repair after the installation failed. After the repair was done, I had to start the reinstall again, and this time the OS installed fine. I can now boot to Vista, or choose my other two XP installs, x86 and x64.

I was installing from the DVD so no AV was on. As for what fixed the problem I don't know exactly, however I have a warning line in my XP boot.ini file that staes that Vista uses another format for its boot.ini equivalent.

Chris

9. jbennet

jbennet

Im glad you sorted it out.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice