1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista, Word 2007, Lost file, Temp?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by CrooklynDawg, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrooklynDawg

CrooklynDawg Thread Starter

Hi,

First, apologies, I'm sure that someone has already asked and answered this question, but I can't find the thread.

Colleague was working on a word document she received through IE. She pressed save, closed document, and then when she tried to retrieve the document later on, it was not in her document folder.

I presume that this is the rather common problem of windows creating super secret hidden temp files to hide your documents on you if you accidentally don't press save as (why they haven't changed this after this many operating systems is really baffling) when you are editing from a document you receive in e-mail.

However, she is working with Vista (I can fix this on XP, but not Vista).

Any ideas how to find the document?
    I searched using %TEMP% and no luck.
    I also dug into the file system down to appfile/bla bla bla/windows/temporary internet files and discovered that, for some reason, she didn't even have that folder (yes, I set the radio button to show hidden files).

She only did this about 12 hours ago, so I don't think the file should be wiped yet... so what am I doing wrong? Does it use a different file extension?

Vista, Word 2007

Thanks!

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    With IE open, go to Tools,Internet Options. On the General tab, and the Browsing History area, select the "Settings" button, the select View files. Scroll through the list if you find the file, right click and open or copy and paste to a new location.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/874023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice