1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista & Xp file sharing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by normj, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. normj

normj Thread Starter

Hi all,
    Had vista for 3 days now and finally got my xp desktop to read files from my vista laptop. However, I still can not get the laptop to access files on the desktop and get the message that my pc is not accessible and I might not have permision to use this network resource. I have played around with private and public settings etc. to no avail. From another thread here, someone else with a similar problem was advised to make the subnet mask 255.255.255.0, which worked for him as my networking experience is very limited could somebody advise me if this would help in my case and also how would I go about it.
    Finally, I should point out that my laptop / vista IS showing up on the network map and I can access media files. Any help would really be appreciated

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If the XP computer can access the Vista computer, the Vista computer gets an access denied when trying to access the XP computer, and both can access the Internet, and you can browse to them, then the IP scheme is likely not part of the problem.

For starters, on the XP Computer, make sure you have the same user name and password as being used on the Vista one.

What version of XP (Pro or Home)?

3. normj

normj Thread Starter

Hi, Bob thanks for that, I am using xp home edition.
    When you say user name do you mean computer name or full computer name or other? I am not currently using any log in password.

4. normj

normj Thread Starter

Bob, further to my last post, following are the computer names etc. I am using.

Laptop (Vista) Computer name, full computer name, computer description are all "gateway"
    PC (Xp) Computer description "laptop", full computer name "gateway"
    Workgroup is "WORKGROUP" for both.
    Hope this helps

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you are always getting Access Denied errors when trying to connect to a XP computer,
    and you know you have the correct user names and passwords on the computer,
    the solution may be a simple registry edit.

Start Regedit
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlSet / Control / Lsa
    Change the value of a key called "restrictanonymous" to 0 instead of 1
    Don't change "restrictanonymoussam" value.
    Reboot

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#access_denied

6. normj

normj Thread Starter

Bob, I've changed the value of a key called "restrictanonymous" to 0 instead of 1 with no effect.
    I wonder if you could run through the settings for the computer names passwords etc. as I feel it is here that my problem lies.
    Thanks

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Did you reboot?

To confirm, from the Vista computer, when trying to connect to the XP Home computer, what is the exact error message?

Also do you have something shared on the XP Home computer?

8. normj

normj Thread Starter

I was geting the error message " not accessible and I might not have permision to use this network resource". But now when I click on the pc icon afterexpanding to network map it brings windows media player up where I can see and run all my media files on the desktop.
    Yes I did re-boot

Yes I do hve a number of shared files on xp pc.

9. normj

normj Thread Starter

Bump!!!!:(

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Do you have print and file sharing enabled on the XP machine?

When you right click on a directory you want to have shared on the XP machine and select Properties > Sharing -- do you have "allow this folder to be shared..."

11. normj

normj Thread Starter

Yes printer and file sharing enabled on both machines.
    But EUREKA after spending many hours on this and trawling the web, I found this fix and everything is working perfectly within the last half hour.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
    DWORD KEY "restrictanonymous" = 0

restrictanonymous was previously = 2

Now I can access both pc and laptop from each other.

Thanks for your assistance however, and I hope this fix will help others in the future.

12. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Bit odd. I was following this thread to learn something. Isn't that the fix Bob suggested a couple of days ago, which you stated did not work?

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes it is and it sure looks like Bob nailed it....

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad that fixed the problem and thanks for posting back.

15. mjohnstone

mjohnstone

I had the same problem and changing restrictanonymous fixed it!. I had been chasing all over, and all the things that were suggested were already implemented on my machine. It was maddening. Thanks a lot.

Mac

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice