Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vista & Xp file sharing

22K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  tonyfelloni 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Had vista for 3 days now and finally got my xp desktop to read files from my vista laptop. However, I still can not get the laptop to access files on the desktop and get the message that my pc is not accessible and I might not have permision to use this network resource. I have played around with private and public settings etc. to no avail. From another thread here, someone else with a similar problem was advised to make the subnet mask 255.255.255.0, which worked for him as my networking experience is very limited could somebody advise me if this would help in my case and also how would I go about it.
Finally, I should point out that my laptop / vista IS showing up on the network map and I can access media files. Any help would really be appreciated

#2 ·
If the XP computer can access the Vista computer, the Vista computer gets an access denied when trying to access the XP computer, and both can access the Internet, and you can browse to them, then the IP scheme is likely not part of the problem.

For starters, on the XP Computer, make sure you have the same user name and password as being used on the Vista one.

What version of XP (Pro or Home)?

#4 ·
Bob, further to my last post, following are the computer names etc. I am using.

Laptop (Vista) Computer name, full computer name, computer description are all "gateway"
PC (Xp) Computer description "laptop", full computer name "gateway"
Workgroup is "WORKGROUP" for both.
Hope this helps

#5 ·
If you are always getting Access Denied errors when trying to connect to a XP computer,
and you know you have the correct user names and passwords on the computer,
the solution may be a simple registry edit.

Start Regedit
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlSet / Control / Lsa
Change the value of a key called "restrictanonymous" to 0 instead of 1
Don't change "restrictanonymoussam" value.
Reboot

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#access_denied

#8 ·
I was geting the error message " not accessible and I might not have permision to use this network resource". But now when I click on the pc icon afterexpanding to network map it brings windows media player up where I can see and run all my media files on the desktop.
Yes I did re-boot

Yes I do hve a number of shared files on xp pc.

#11 ·
Yes printer and file sharing enabled on both machines.
But EUREKA after spending many hours on this and trawling the web, I found this fix and everything is working perfectly within the last half hour.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
DWORD KEY "restrictanonymous" = 0

restrictanonymous was previously = 2

Now I can access both pc and laptop from each other.

Thanks for your assistance however, and I hope this fix will help others in the future.

#14 ·
normj said:
Yes printer and file sharing enabled on both machines.
But EUREKA after spending many hours on this and trawling the web, I found this fix and everything is working perfectly within the last half hour.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
DWORD KEY "restrictanonymous" = 0

restrictanonymous was previously = 2

Now I can access both pc and laptop from each other.

Thanks for your assistance however, and I hope this fix will help others in the future.
Glad that fixed the problem and thanks for posting back.

#17 ·
Hi Guys

I have set up a network similier to above. I have a laptop running Vista conncted to a wireless router. I have a PC running XP connected to the same router via ethernet cable. I have mapped a network drive on each computer for the other computer so I can access shared files and printers.

I want to know is it possible to password protect this access to limit access to the shared folders from other users of the network? A one time only password would be ideal.

I would appreciate some advise on the possibility of password protecting the Vista laptop and or the XP Pc (Home version)

Many Thanks

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.