1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista/xp file sharing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by bigrow, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigrow

bigrow Thread Starter

I know this topic has been posted on before, but my situation is unusual.

I have just installed office 2007 on my new vista pc which is replacing an old xp pc and attached to the same network as before. The shared files are hosted on my existing xp pc. Now here's the thing: the network works. I can view and open files on the network from either pc. But, once I save a change to a office 2007 document and close it, I can't open it again. I get the error message that the file is in use or that I don't have permission. And it's not in use and I do have permission because it was just open. If I restart the vista pc, it will allow me to open the file again, but once I save it it's the same problem and it won't open. And office is set to save files in the office 97-2003 format because the xp pc has office 2003. But it shouldn't be an issue because the files will open - ONCE!

Also, on the vista pc when i click on to the network, it takes a long time for all the files to load or be accessible - even though it's only about 5 gigs of mostly word docs. It was instantaneous on my old xp pc which had an ancient usb wireless b 11/mbs adapter and the new pc has a wireless g. Internet is lightning fast, but net work access is slow and unreliable.

So, can anyone out there help me?

Thanks in advance

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/797367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice