1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista-XP Network, computers won't connect.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Wurg, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wurg

Wurg Thread Starter

I realise there are quite a lot of these about, but from searching, no-one seems to be having quite this problem.

For a while, I have had two PCs (XP Home and 2000) networked together using a router (Netgear DG834G v2). (It's a wireless modem/router with four wired connections as well).
    Both Pcs were connected via ethernet cables to the router, and both were able to access the internet, and to view shared files on the other. The wireless connection worked succesfully for any device wishing to access the internet (PDAs and games consoles for example).
    However, we have recently purchased two Vista laptops (both running Vista Premium), which we wish to be able to use to connect to the XP machine (the 2000 machine isn't a worry), however networking the machines seems to be a problem.
    Both laptops are able to access wireless internet over the network, and can see the XP machine on their network maps, but are unable to connect to it (a screenshot of the network map is attatched, with a couple of pieces of personal data censored. The top two computers are laptops, and the bottom, the XP machine). If wired to the network, they merely give a message saying something to the tune of "cannot create a map of this type of network". The XP computer refuses to see them at all, and will only find itself.
    All computers can Ping each other by IP.

Can anyone help at all?
    Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What 3rd party firewalls (internet security) are running on the machines?

Can they all ping each other by name?

3. Wurg

Wurg Thread Starter

All machines are currently running only Windows Firewall.

They can't ping each other by name, both give an error message of "Ping request could not find <computer name>. Please check the name and try again"

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    3rd party firewalls often have to be uninstalled or properly configured for the desired access. Sometimes 'disable' or 'turn off' will suffice. Sometimes a firewall doesn't uninstall nicely and the result is random blockage.

A firewall is one of the top suspects for the failure to ping by name. But there are others.

For all the PCs please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following commands:

nbtstat -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

5. limeytiger

limeytiger

After months of frustration and searching I have located a solution.to this error message when trying to access files on a desktop from a laptop on a network.
    Quote " \\Desktop\sharedDocs is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    Note enough server storage is available to process this command'.

The jpg attachment "Laptop not accessible" is the error message I got from the XP desktop when trying to access files from the Desktop.
    A problem I Need help on

Hear is the solution executed on the registry of the DESKTOP
    Follow these steps to check for problems on the machine you cannot access.
    1) Open the registry editor on the machine you cannot connect to by clicking on Start, Run
    2) Type REGEDIT and press Enter
    3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following entries
    · HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    · SYSTEM
    · CurrentControlSet
    · Services
    · Lanmanserver
    · Parameters
    4) In the right-hand portion of the Registry Editor look for a key called IRPStackSize

5) If the key exists, double-click on it and increase the decimal value to 15 and click OK. Close the Registry Editor, reboot the computer and try to connect to the network share. If you are still unable to connect follow the above steps again and increase the decimal number for IRPStackSize by 5 and try again. Continue to do this until the stack size is large enough to permit access. Personally, I had to increase the number to 25 before I could connect. The decimal range for the parameter is between 11 and 50.

6) If the IRPStackSize key DOES NOT exist in the right-hand column of the registry editor, then click on right-click in the blank area in the right-hand column and choose New

7) Then Click on D-Word under the Key column

8) In the Name of the new key, type the name IRPStackSize and press Enter. Type the name with the correct capitalization as shown above.

9) Now double-click on the IRPStackSize key and type 15 in the value data box and place a dot next to Decimal then click Ok.

10) Close the registry editor and reboot the computer. Try to access the network share again. If the same error appears follow the steps above to increase the value and reboot again. Continue this procedure until the problem is resolved. The decimal range for the parameter is between 11 and 50.

The Key was missing from the DESKTOP and after creating it, Presto! it worked at 20.
    Now I can use the Briefcase on Vista-Laptop. to sync., files.
    I have not tried this solution on the Laptop,yet

Attached Files:

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Like Terry said, this is very likely a firewall on the laptop.

7. DaveWillDoIT

DaveWillDoIT

I had this exact same problem, Internet was fine, but not for files. I found a solution online, can't recall where but this is what I did.

First off set up your Share folders for Vista. I assume the XP and w2000 machines already are set to Share. Either move stuff to the Vista Public (I think it is) folder or set individual folders to Share.

On my w2000 desktop, I created a User "Vista1" with password assigned and privileges set at Administrator.

I did the **exact** same thing on the Vista Home Premium laptop. Same name, privileges and password.

I logged in as Vista1 on the w2000 then went to Vista Network connections and when the Vista laptop finally saw the w2000 machine, I logged in as Vista1 on it.

Providing the User name and password are identical on both PCs I can now access the desktop files from the laptop.

It's a PITA having to logon to both but at least I can now share files.

Hope that helps.

Dave

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Who's posting a new problem here and who is trying to help Wurg, who apparently lost interest almost two months ago?

9. limeytiger

limeytiger

Guilty as Charged.

Guess I should have made a new post. However as I managed to get the attention of three accomplished gentlemen. Thank you for the advice.
    The first problem I had which was corrected by making the changes I documented, is obviously, not common but I thought it might help some other frustrated Gent’ of four-score and two years, equally perplexed by “permissions, sharing, networks, etc.
    However I am able to access the XP desktop files from the Vista Laptop and sync important documents in the Briefcase. so far so good!
    Is there a way to “Sync” folders on the XP and Vista computers via the network directly? Which would be much faster.

The Desktop show the icon for the Laptop in ”work group computers. Trying to access it produces the attached error message. The CMD info that TerryNet requested is also attached.

Thank you for your help.
    Limey” not so” tiger

Attached Files:

10. limeytiger

limeytiger

OOPS the attachment got away. Here they are!

Attached Files:

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In your laptop's Network and Sharing Center is your network private and is file sharing on (see attached example)?

If so the blockage is probably from a 3rd party firewall (security suite). Often these have to be completely and cleanly uninstalled or properly configured for the desired access. Sometimes 'disable' or 'turn off' will suffice.

Attached Files:

12. limeytiger

limeytiger

Hi TerryNet, Apologies for delayed respons. Pleased to report problem solved. I have been using &#8220;McAfee Virus Scan on line&#8221; for a very long time and did not realize their firewall covered more than email. It has never blocked anything before! When I turned of McAfee firewall I was able to see the laptop folders. Guess I am over-fire walled with a similar function on the Netgear wireless router. Odd that McAfee virus scan did not block the Laptop to Desktop communication, If there is a setting on virus scan that will solve the problem I could not find it. Would it be safe to leave the McAfee firewall turned off or just disable it when I need to? My subscription is due for renewal so I will ask them for help.
    Thank you very much for your help
    Limetiger

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There should be a way to tell McAfee firewall to trust IP addresses used by your router and computers or to trust your other computer(s) by their MAC Address(es).

The router gives fine firewall protection against incoming attacks. Additional firewalls are mostly for protection against outgoing attacks for those who need or want that.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice