1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista & XP Network trouble

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kb4hah, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kb4hah

kb4hah Thread Starter

Evening,
    My son recently purchase a new computer system that has Vista as the operating system. I have set up the home network many years ago with 4 other computer with win98 on one and the others having xp. All them have been operating successfully for over 5 years prior to my son's new computer systems being attached to the network.
    Setups:
    The son's OS is Vista home Premium and we have downloaded SP1.
    The xp have SP3 downloaded on all of them.

Trouble:
    After 5-15 minutes (varies constantly) after my son starts using the internet on his computer (and only when he on the internet) the network freeze up and no one can use the network. only solution we have determine thus far is to re-boot router/modem (westel-327w) power.
    Just having him get off internet or removing his system from the network after router/modem freezing does nothing.
    any suggestion on a patch or option needing to be set in vista.

Gene

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

I wish I could help you, I'm darn curious myself what's going on. All I can think of is maybe some malware has gotten into your son's computer.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the Vista connecting via ethernet or wireless? Either way check the laptop manufacturer's web site for the latest driver.

If wireless, try ethernet instead and see if that makes a difference.

If he is using any p2p applications get rid of them, at least as a test.

Suggest you also check for a firmware upgrade for the router.

4. ryanjoachim

ryanjoachim

Definately check on the firmware for your router.
    Have you had the same router for the past few years also?
    If so, that could be your problem. The older routers were not designed to handle that many computers all using broadband internet at the same time.

5. kb4hah

kb4hah Thread Starter

We have tried with that theory too..... I've had only two systems on the network and get the same results... I believe it's a software issue with the operating systems on handling internet protocols... but can't seem to find out what it is.... I've turn off Vista's ip-6 protocols thinking that might have something to do with it, but that did not change anything... So not sure what to do next..
    Thanks
    Gene

6. kb4hah

kb4hah Thread Starter

HE is connected via Cat-5 Ethernet. the xp's are: 2 laptops wireless and 2 are connected via cat-5 Ethernet too.
    Thanks Gene

7. kb4hah

kb4hah Thread Starter

One other note... His is a tower... have checked the routers latest firm ware updates, got it set for checking updates every sunday morning.... I will see about son's Ethernet card moden firm ware and see if it needs update... will report back with results..
    Thanks all
    Gene

8. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    None of this may help, but it is a thought.

Is one of the CAT 5 connected computers the 98 machine?
    If so, unplug it's Cat5 cable and then try using the New Vista machine.
    During beta of Vista we were having all kinds of networking issues with 98 machines. If I remember right, the 98 machines require "NetBIOS" . NetBIOS support was added to Vista in SP1. See http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/Services/TCP_IP_NetBIOS_Helper.htm

9. kb4hah

kb4hah Thread Starter

Thanks Dave....
    Yeah the daughter doesn't use that computer much since it's has only a 10 g hard drive and 250 meg ram... so I disconnected it some time ago... but when it was running, I had it set and running on the network.. thanks again.
    Gene
    :eek:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice