Vista - XP networking problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

paranormal

I have a HP laptop with 64 bit windows Vista Ultimate on it and a Desktop with Windows XP sp3 on it. I tried to connect them together using a Linksys wireless router, with Laptop connected wireless and Desktop with cable. I have been successful in sharing the internet over the two but haven't been able to create a full functioning Home network. Though both the computers can ping each other i havent been able to share files. I have them over the same workgroup and have also disabled the firewalls on the computers (Norton on Laptop and Kaspersky on desktop) Windows firewall is also disabled. The machines detect each other but when i click to view the shared files it gives an error as

"" \\Laptop is not accessible.You might not have the permission to use this network resource.Contack network administrator .........""

I have identical user accounts on both machines aswell .

I have been tearing my hair apart over this from last couple of days....:(

Plz plz pzl help me :confused:

TerryNet

Terry
Have you enabled file sharing on both PCs?

Non-Windows firewalls often block stuff unless they are properly configured for the desired access or completely and cleanly uninstalled. Sometimes 'disable' or 'turn off' will suffice.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Turn off password protected sharing on the Vista machine as well.

paranormal

THANKS FOR UR RESPONSE

Actually i dont kno exactly how but i managed to get them to working. Maybe becoz i enabled Guest Sharing on the Vista Machine....:confused: .

Sorry For my late reply .

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Thanks for the feedback.

You can mark your own threads solved using the
button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.
©
:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online