1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

vista -> xp pro sp3: driver problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TimoDude, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TimoDude

TimoDude Thread Starter

Hi,

i'm experiencing a problem on my packerd bell laptop ( easynote sj51)
    i recently formatted my pc(vista home basic) and put windows xp pro sp3 on it, i knew that i would have to download some drivers so i backed up my network adaptor's driver so i could download the rest of them.

but now when i go to the packerd bell website to download the missing drivers, i see that these drivers i need only work for windows vista. does this mean that i will not be able to use my sound card and other hardware on windows xp?

also my screen resolution's maximum is 1024 - 768 , and it used to be 1440-990 , could this be caused by missing driver?

thanks a lot.

[​IMG]

2. warrior19

warrior19

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Yes, your video resolution problem is most likely driver related.

As for finding Windows XP compatible drivers, you may need to do some research and experimentation to find suitable ones.

- If Packard Bell had an older computer model that ran Windows XP and used the same controller ICs, the drivers for the older model might work on your computer.

- The manufacturers of the controller ICs may offer Windows XP compatible drivers directly from their own web sites.

EDIT:
    As mentioned by warrior19, there are also web sites not related to the computer manufacturer or the IC manufacturer that offer drivers for download as well.

4. mastercookiez

mastercookiez

I have had the same problem with reinstalling Windows XP and when the installing screen comes up and you can't see half the screen! I needed to install a driver for my Dell Dimension 2400. Before I reinstalled Windows XP, I had a 1024x768 and now I have a 22" HD LCD monitor and that gets up to I think 1366x768 and I REALLy needed to find some drivers because the picture on the screen was like 10x bigger than normal size! But the simple thing is to just to find some drivers.

And this is actually my first post on this forum so I hoped that I helped!

Thanks,
    MasterCookiez

5. TimoDude

TimoDude Thread Starter

thank you for fast replies,
    but only the video driver worked :) (resolution prob solved , yuppie)

i did a lot of research myself but not with a lot of succes

do you have any ideas where i can find the drivers i need?
    by the way. does anyone know what i need the hardware for (of wich i'm missing drivers) (as you can see on the picture in my first post)
    thanks a lot

6. warrior19

warrior19

Thats a shame. Your picture is in another language but its simple to see the list of hardware not working fully in XP is:

Your sound card, coprocesser(CPU Supporting), Ethernet LAN Card, Video Card (now fixed!) and SM Bus Controller.

The SMBus Controller (or system bus controller) is part of the Intel chipset. It monitors your system board's temperature and voltage. Programs that read your hardware sensors need the controller.

The software to install it should have come with your motherboard. You might locate a generic smbus controller driver on the Intel.com site.

Sound Card: Try this?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&cc=us&softwareitem=ob-40619-1

Failing this you will have to e-mail Packard Bell support and see if they are aware of XP drivers for this Laptop?

Also download & install SIW:

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

This program will show you lots of detail about the hardware/software on your Laptop.

Then you can make a note of the exact make and model of Motherboard, Sound Card, Coprocesser, Ethernet LAN Card, Video Card and SM Bus Controller.

Then when you know who the manufacturer is and the model you can surf the web for the manufacturer's website to try and find XP drivers.

After which you are pretty stuck with going back to Vista or trying Windows 7 (which is better). Before trying Windows 7 run this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en

This will tell you if Windows 7 will behave on this older laptop....or at least install?

If you are feeling brave you could buy a second hardisk for the laptop and attempt the clean install of Win 7 to the new one. Then if it fails or works slowly you can pop the XP or Vista Hardisk back in.

7. TimoDude

TimoDude Thread Starter

thanks again for trying to help me, the sound card driver again did not find the device.
    i'll just keep researching, the drivers must be somewhere out there

thanks
    TimoDude

8. warrior19

warrior19

Run the SIW software as it will tell you the exact model of soundcard in your machine. Just in case the manufacturer ever used a different brand of soundcard for that laptop you have??? Then you can go to the manufacturer website and see if XP drivers exist?

9. TimoDude

TimoDude Thread Starter

SIW, did not, (like all the other stuff i've tried) tell me more specifically what sound card i have.

thank you for all the help.
    i think there are no drivers for my soundcard and others on xp.

thank you .

10. warrior19

warrior19

11. warrior19

warrior19

12. TimoDude

TimoDude Thread Starter

didnt work.
    alert: windows NT 6.006.000( or something) is needed

thanks a lot.
    i appreciate it.

Timo

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice