1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Visual basic C++....../winlgon.exe error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wallee, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wallee

wallee Thread Starter

Hi folks, thanks for taking the time to read this. I suspect I've posted in the wrong place. Please move this if needed.

Windows XP Home SP2.

During start up, the error I received was visual basic C++...../winlogon.exe. Something about not being able to start the process. Basically my comp would not start. When I clicked OK, it would just try to start again and encounter the same error.
    Would not start in any safe mode, last known best configuration or any of the check disk or repair options from the set up menu.
    I was told it was probably a corrupted file in the OS, and that I would more than likely need to do a fresh install.
    OS was OEM. Recovery disk is XP PRE SP1.

I've pulled the drive out and attached it to another comp running windows 7 with an external enclosure, but the drive is not seen by the other comp. It says there is no data on the drive.
    I have attached a known good drive to the new comp in the same way and it will read the known good drive.

The suspect drive gets warm, but otherwise does nothing.

Is there any way to get at the data on the bad drive?

I hope this makes sense.

If more info is needed please ask.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975209

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice