1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

visual C++ wireless simulation program

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by yamutha, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yamutha

yamutha Thread Starter

hi there this is my first time on the forums and am in need of some guidence if there is any available. I am currently starting a project where i am to design an application, which simulates a wireless network. I do have programming skills but these havnt been in use for some years now :(.

Basically i need to create an application, which has a 2D birds-eye view of an office block, outlining objects such as corridors and external rooms etc. The user should be allowed to place wireless nodes within the office plan (approximately 7), which i would like to be dragged from a selection menu, onto the office floor.

I need assistence as to how this can be performed using visual C++, because the application should also work out if one node can communicate with another node based upon the distance between the two.

How can i implement into the program, a calculation based upon the distance between the nodes, within this office block layout?. Any information at all would be appreciated.

Also is it possible for me to create an interface in VB and then to implement this into visual c++ code, or even still do you believe it would be easier to make the full application in visual basic?

your guidence and comment will be much appreciated. thanks.

2. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Your distance problem is simple trig. Pythagorean theorem, eighth grade math. Your cells have X,Y coordinates; the distance between any two cells is given as d=sqrt(deltaX^2 + deltaY^2) Of course you have to scale the answer. You set up an NxN connection matrix where N is the number of nodes in order to see who can talk to who.

The whole thing is high level; VB would do the whole thing just fine (if you like VB that is)

3. yamutha

yamutha Thread Starter

thanks very much.. shall proceed as you said :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice