1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Visual corruption in java applications.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by FKUN, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FKUN

FKUN Thread Starter

Hello! I've got an issue with my forex platform which is written in java - whenever I open more than 2 chart windows their contents become corrupt in the following ways: the entire chart turns black and clickable elements come back into view when i move the mouse cursor over them (this doesn't happen all the time), the chart "flashes" the data from another chart every second or so, sometimes it displays the wrong data for a longer time before reverting to the correct contents.

I suspect it to be a problem with java because both platforms I use for trading forex are corrupted in the exact same way and the only thing they have in common is that they are java based. The problem started a few days ago when I have replaced my ancient x1900xt with a HD 5770 and plugged in my old 17" HP v72 crt for use as a secondary monitor (if it matters, it's connected via a vga to dvi converter).

I've tried putting my old x1900xt back in to see if it's caused by the graphics card but that didn't help. I've tried clearing java cache, removing java and rolling back to an older update (I'm using 6u23 now) but that didn't help. I've tried reinstalling the graphics card drivers and that didn't work either.

The one time I got the charts to work again was when I completely removed java, ran a registry cleaner, rebooted and installed java again while the secondary screen was disabled - it worked for a while, then I've extended the desktop to my secondary screen again and the charts became corrupt once again. The corruption persists regardless of whether I'm using extended desktop or not, which makes me unsure if removing java and reinstalling it after a reboot solved the problem or if some weird anomaly makes it go away every 20 or 30 times I open my charts.

I've searched google for a solution to no avail, so it seems my problem isn't common. I'd appreciate any help and if you need more information just ask. Also I can record my desktop to show you what the problem looks like.

2. FKUN

FKUN Thread Starter

I've found out what the problem is by accident - it turns out that there is some sort of incompatibility between antialiasing and the java applications I am having problems with. I'm not sure if the problem applies to all graphics cards, only ATI cards or only my model, but the solution is to set the antialiasing setting in Catalyst Control Center to "use application settings". Boooooyakasha!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice