1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Visual part of motherboard not working?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nekographic, Apr 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nekographic

nekographic Thread Starter

Hello, last Saturday my laptop screen just stopped working so I took it to a local shop to be fixed thinking it was just the screen that died. Today though when my boyfriend called to ask about the laptop, they told him that it had been the visual part of my motherboard that had died and it'd cost anything between £250-£400 to replace the motherboard. Now, I'm not an expert but to me this just sounds like a scam to get me to buy a new laptop because I don't really believe that if a part of the motherboard dies on a laptop, the rest will still work but I could be wrong. I could use some help so what do you guys think?

2. valis

valis Moderator

well the motherboard is exactly that; the MOTHER board. If it goes, your pc will not work at all.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

My guess is that the shop was referring to the video chip [which is part of the mb on just about ALL laptops]
    When you pw ON the laptop, do you see the screen light up at all ie any glow? Have you connected the laptop to an external monitor to check if it is in fact the screen? If not, do so.

4. Wurms

Wurms

There is a ribbon that connects the screen to the board. Very easy to get to and check your self, and reseat it. First, like crj said above, connect it to an external via one of your video ports (VGA, HDMI). If your screen dies, or ribbon pulled out, you will still get video on an external. If you're not getting video on an external, nor your laptop screen, it could very well be the motherboard. The entire board doesn't have to die. It's just a chip embedded onto the board, and it can get damaged.

Motherboard replacement is costly, just because of the labor involved. The part may cost $80, but the labor is $300 because it takes like 2 hours to replace and test.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147326

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice