1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Visual Studio 2005 Express free permanently

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lotuseclat79, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

Microsoft has decided to continue indefinitely a free development tool offer it launched last year to better attract hobbyists and students to Microsoft's software.

The company on Wednesday said Visual Studio 2005 Express will be free permanently. When it was released for the first time, last November, Microsoft had said it would be free for a year.

Microsoft on Wednesday also added more features to its free database, SQL Server 2005 Express.

Visual Studio 2005 Express comes in different editions, including those for Visual Basic, C#, J#, C++ and a Web development version that uses JavaScript.

-- Tom

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think they're feeling the heat from Linux and the free development tools. :)

3. InterKnight

InterKnight

Much agreed, JohnWill.

There are so many development tools which I use on Windows which were created by the open source community. It's amazing to see what they have for free out there.

4. JohnWill

Microsoft obviously wants to suck people into the NET structure which will lock the applications into Windows. It's a not-so-transparent ploy. :D

5. InterKnight

InterKnight

That's my opinion as well. I started teaching myself wxWidgets so that I would not be constrained to Windows development only as I eventually want to begin to design software for various platforms, such as Linux.

6. JohnWill

Well, IMO it's a bad idea to exclude the Windows platform, but I agree that developing portable applications that work across all platforms is the most desirable way to go.

7. bigk

bigk

WOO HOO I WANT IT SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just kindding! Becuase I Already have it!

I'm in a computer programming class and the license agreement says that the teacher can give each of there students a copy of visual studio 2005. So I asked him and I manage to get a copy. :) Now the question is, do I want to install all 17 cds? :)

Since this one was on wednesday when they added the SQL Server 2005 Express how do I get a copy of this? I got my copy last month so obviously I dont have SQL Server 2005 Express cd/program.

Bigk:)

8. JohnWill

Microsoft is suddenly giving away a lot of software. ;) They're also giving away Virtual Server 2005.

9. InterKnight

InterKnight

I know that at one point Oracle was going to offer a database (Oracle 10 Express Edition) or something along those lines. They were planning on making it an open source product. They seem to be distributing it freely, but they dropped the open source idea.

I think that the open source community is growing quite quickly, and I think it has a lot to offer that are probably causing a bit of a ruckus with large-scale businesses.

Not to ramble on, but one reason I want to get into development is that because of my vision I have to use a screen magnifier program. Microsoft's Magnifier doesn't really cut it, but I use that on PCs when I work for others. I use a program called ZoomText (only made for Windows). ZoomText's price tag is somewhere around $600-$700. I...unfortunately barely make that in a month...My reason for going into development is that I wish to create a magnifier with the same functionality as ZoomText and either make it open source or give a small price for it (around $30 or less). With wxWidgets I would be able to make this magnifier (once I knew how) for various operating systems, so then blind users could make use of operating systems such as Linux if they could not afford Windows...That's my long term goal...anyhow...

Sorry for the rambling.

Take care.

10. JohnWill

Good luck. :)

11. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

Hi BigK,

To get SQL Server 2005 Express, I would visit http://support.microsoft.com and search for it.

-- Tom

12. bigk

bigk

thank you lotuseclat79.

13. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

14. bigk

bigk

I was installing one of my cds and found that I had SQL Server 2005 express. :) But I do thank you for your help.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/460544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice